I need some advice on how to handle this situation.

I was invited by my neighbor to go camping with her and a few other girls. I told her that I didn't have any money to go as it all went to rent this month, she said that was fine and we'd all be sharing the food anyways. So we end up going to the grocery store and I pick up a few snacks for me plus mix for my booze, I thought that I could afford about 20 bucks worth of things and so I got a few snacks to munch on. I wasn't worried about food because I was only going to be out there until a little bit after 1pm. So not too worried about eating. So we get out there and I've been offered hotdogs and snacks, so I had two hotdogs because I was starving. Got drunk and had a good time. The next morning, everyone starts making breakfast and offers me some so I had a little bit of hashbrowns,one egg, one piece of toast and a few strips of bacon. I then get told by my neighbor that the other girls were mad at me, when I asked why she

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• CONT - told me that I had drank too much and called one of the girls a bitch and was talking behind her back. I didn't say a word but in my head I was wondering how the hell that was possible because I had 2 drinks, nothing to get me drunk, I remembered the whole night and one of the other ladies was sitting by me saying how her friend that was there as well was a big bitch and she's controlling and lazy .. I guess they thought it was me who was talking. When I told my neighbor that it wasn't me who was saying that, she brushed it off by saying that all of them were super close and I was kind of the outsider so I have to watch my mouth around them. Yea, I was pissed off by that point. So I get my stuff ready to go back home and the woman who thought I was talking about her said to me yea you're going to owe 70 bucks for everything you got but we'll add it up later when the rest of us get back home. So They call me a few days
    Anonymous

• CONT - later and tallied everything up and my total for everything came to $93.04!!! I asked how it was so much and apperantly my food was $28, my booze was $26 and then they charged me general food fee of $30. When I said that I didn't have the money and she would have to cover me until I got paid again she got all offended saying I better not ditch out cause the other women think that I'm going to. Yea, not impressed right now. What should I do? My SO thinks that I'm being screwed over because I"m the new girl, but should I really have to pay all of that? I was going to pay for my booze and snacks, but should I really have to pay the $30 for the amount of food I was OFFERED? They said I wouldn't have to worry about it and they knew I had no money right then .. What should I do to diffuse the tension?
    Anonymous

• Pay it and never go out with them again. I think that is ridiculous, but I wouldn't want the hassle. I would pay it, and if they ever asked me to do anything again, I would tell them no. Sounds like they had some of the other girls that couldn't pay their share and they are dumping it on you.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Ummm. I'd be done with them. There is no way I'd pay a dime. She said it was fine before you went so I'd stick with that. $93 is excessive and unless you drank and ate $93 worth of anything I'd tell em all to piss off.
    ShoesRLove

Answer by ShoesRLove at 5:44 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would pay about $10.00 for the food, and $10.00-$15.00 for the alcohol. I bet the total of everyone's stuff together was the $93.00. A pack of hotdogs costs $1.00, a dozen eggs costs $1.00 and a pack of bacon costs around $4.00, and then whatever snacks cost. You didn't eat the whole pack of anything, so there is no reason for you to pay that much, plus they offered that stuff to you. Even though you are the new girl, don't let them walk all over you. Obviously they are not friends if they are being that way towards you so who cares if they stay mad. You'll find better friends.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 5:46 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I almost think because they are being so childish about the whole situation, You will pay them maybe 1/2 of that and if they want more they need to prove, otherwise you don't owe them anymore then that. I wouldn't pay them all of it if you feel you're in the right. Plus no true friends would be so petty,but I would never hang out with them again. They don't sound like their not true friends! good luck to you, I'm curious what they would say if you told them you will pay 1/2 otherwise you need proof, Feel free to contact me and let me know what you decided.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I like Haidens Mama's answer. that also seems like a valid answer too. Techinally you don't owe them S&IT!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• That is NOT possible. My husband and I don't even eat $93 worth of food in a week!! Tell them they have to give you a piece of paper with every single thing you ate/drank on it and how much each item costed. If they paid $2 for a carton of eggs and you ate one egg, you don't owe $2, you owe $.17(there are 12 eggs and 1/12 of $2=$.17), etc etc. And if they can't do that to PROVE that you owe $93 effin dollars, I'd tell them to kiss my A$$!!
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 5:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'd tell them to kiss my .......well you know. They wouldn't get a dime more out of me than what I actually ate and drank. General food fund? WTF is that? Never heard of such a thing!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Maybe they didn't have the money to go and now they are trying to get all of it out of you. It sounds like $93 would be the entire bill. Maybe you could ask them to send you an itemized list. $93 is a lot of money for them to just expect you to hand over no questions asked. I would definitely not associate with them again. Good luck.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 6:01 PM on May. 26, 2009