Do any of you mom's make a special kind of sloppy joe?

I usually use "Manwich" but the kids don't seem to like it bc of the green peppers and tomato (chunks).

What do you use or recommend?

I tried another no name brand bc on the picture it did not have all that stuff in it, but wrong there was. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on May. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just use BBQ sauce.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I brown the beef with some diced onion, then I put in equal amounts of ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. Mix until it's all well blended and heat until bubbling, then I serve it on either hamburger buns or toasted bread. Sometimes we put a slice of cheese on it, but most times we don't. It's really, really good. My dad made it, his mom made it, it's become a family tradition. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:10 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You could always strain it...
    silks_bunny

Answer by silks_bunny at 8:22 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I had another idea - put the manwich in the blender before adding it the meat. That will get rid of those dreaded lumps of tomato and pepper.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I use packets, they aren't as sweet. My family is up in the air on sloppy joes but Manwich is ruled out...McCormicks and generic brand work ok for my family.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 8:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I make mine using Rachel Ray's recipe. My son is a picky eater but loves her recipe for sloppy joes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on May. 27, 2009

• If you don't have a crockpot, you can simmer this on the stove, stirring often
    Sloppy JoJo's in the crockpot
    1 tbsp. veg. oil
    1 large yellow onion, diced
    1 celery stalk diced
    1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (if you have sensitive skin, wear gloves)
    1 red or green pepper, seeded and diced
    2 tsps. chili powder
    1-1/2 cups brown lentils, rinsed (not red lentils)
    1 14-1/2 oz diced tomatoes (like Mexican style)
    3 cups water
    2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce or tamari or braggs
    1 tbsp. prepared yellow or brown mustard
    1 tbsp. sugar to cut the acid
    1 tsp. salt or to taste and add at the end of cooking.
    Fresh pepper to taste

Answer by rkoloms at 5:07 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion, celery, jalapeno pepper, and red or green
    pepper and chili powder for a few minutes until onion and celery are tender but still
    firm. Transfer then mixture to the crockpot. Add the lentils, tomatoes, water, soy sauce,
    mustard and sugar. Add pepper. Stir. Add the salt at the end, this keeps the lentils from
    taking long to cook and becoming tough. Cover the crockpot, set it on low and cook for
    7-8 hours. Or 1 hr on high and 6-7 on low. Serve on wheat buns and have a lot of napkins!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:08 PM on May. 27, 2009