Gestational diabetes and insulin shots?

anyone else had GS to the point where diet could not control their glucose levels and needed insulin?
I'm at this point now, when i called my nutritionist to report my glucose levels for the last two weeks, she said she was going to fax the results right away to my ob/gyn and they were going to put me on insulin.
I'm kinda freaked out by this...should I be?
I'm 34 wks pregnant.. and this is all kind of getting overwhelming, I KNOW my baby is going to be big, just by the size of MYSELF and I'm scared shitless to be honest.
Another fear i have is the fact that I've ballooned out so much..im scared of staying the size of a barn after delivery :(

I've talked to my ob/gyn about inducing me at 38 wks already due to the GD, feet swelling, capel tunnel in both hands/wrists, and general discomfort i am suffering, and she said that it depends on my cervix whether or not they do it. A while back they said i had a short cervix
cont.

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 5:52 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• cont..
    and that I may deliver early..
    Do you think that with all the added complications it's more feasable now? I really hope so..because I am absolutely miserable :( I just want to cry.. for myself and for her (my baby)
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 5:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I did have GS and did have to use insulin. I was induced about 2 weeks early. My son was fine.. normal.. healthy etc. So, i will just say try not to worry.
    Anonymous

• I'm a type 2 diabetic, I'm pregnant with my second child, so feel free to PM me if you have other questions. Normally I take metform (pills) for my diabetes when pregnant I take insulin and I'll probably be put on it after I see my endo next month. It's really NOT a big deal. If you've been testing your BG levels on your fingers...THAT hurts more. I had insulin pens, I only took 10 units a day (some diabetics take hundreds), The needle was very thin and I didn't even feel it. I would inject it on the top of my thigh!

Now don't be afraid that this means your baby will be big. The last ultrasound I had with my son at 37 weeks estimated my son was 10 pounds! He was 6 pounds 10 ounces at birth. It is true that because of diabetes they tend to induce you early, but only 1 or 2 weeks early. I was induced on June 5th 2004, my due date was June 11th! My son was wearing preemie clothes, lol
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:56 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Also just watch what you eat, don't eat white bread, pasta or rice....stick with whole grains, eat lots of veggies and some fruits....bananas for example are one of the sugary fruits you shouldn't have a lot. But citrus, apples, pears, berries and melons are wonderful and full of fiber. You may want to look for a pregnant exercise video and exercise helps you burn extra suagr in your system. There is one by leslie Hart called Fit Mama that is good and something that can be done throughout your entire pregnancy....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:58 PM on May. 26, 2009