What do you do if you have NO insurance and are 6 months along???

I applied for state medicaid, however the people helping me say it can take another 2/3 months before i hear anything 6+3=9 and i will be having the baby by then? I only get 500 bucks a month and that is to pay for rent and food??? I went to a clinic... They told me my blood pressure was high and that i needed to be on bed rest, so i cant even work? What do i do? Im so confused, i havent seen a REAL doctor... and i just need some help... Can you have a perfectly normal baby without any prenatal care?? I take my vitamins everyday, and the baby moves all the time... Is it possible the baby is fine???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The state should be issuing you a temporary medical card each month until you get approved...that's what Illinois does. Call the hospitals for advice. You aren't the first person to have no insurance while pregnant. They will help you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:58 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Medicaid can pay for your medical bills 3 months back. It doesn't take that long to get approve, don't give up, just apply. I think they'll cover you 6 weeks after you have the baby as well.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I am in the same boat I pay for everything out of pocket its not easy and I am single no help from daddy (hes in prison) Im sorry to hear that you are having problems! Good luck!
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 6:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• go to your county and state human resources dept and check out what is available to you, or just call and explain to them you need help. You will get the med card, also WIC, there is help you just have to learn how to find it. and yes you can have a healthy baby with no prenatal care, its risky but possible.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Find out what local providers you have on Ameriplan's network. The medical only plan is $29.95 a month and will help you with your hospital costs also...

www.LowCostBenefitsPlans.com

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:09 PM on May. 26, 2009

• WELL IF THE BABY IS MOVING THAT MEANS HE/SHE IS FINE. IF HE/SHE STOP MOVING FOR A LONG TIME U SHOULD GO TO THE HOSPITAL. WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO SEE U WITH OR WITHOUT INSURANCE. BY LAW THEY HAVE TO SEE U.
    jdenmommy

Answer by jdenmommy at 6:09 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Call your local DFACS or I think its called HRS? in some states. Find out the status of your Medicaid and ask them what you can do until your approved. With my first I was approved same day, with my twins it took 3 weeks because it was less than a year after having my 1st so they had to send it in. 3 mo sends way too long
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 6:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• well i would just keep calling them because it should not take them that long i applied for it and i still need to send in some paper work but they still gave me temporary coverage for three months if i was you i would ask for at least temp. coverage till they can get you covered also i dont know if you have a clinic that goes by your income i was going to a clinic that was free because we were not making enough and was cheap if they go by your income i would try to look for something like this in your area! good luck and no its not good to not have prenatal care but for right now make sure you are taking you vitamins also madicaid can go back three months and cover any past bills if you have any!! good luck i hope you can work something out
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 6:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Medicaid will go back three months to pay medical bills, and you should be able to get a temporary coverage before you are approved. Go to a public health clinic that has an OB. I did before I was sure if I could qualify and ended up loving my doc. kept going even after I had other choices available. I'm just wondering why you didn't get the ball rolling when you first found out you were pregnant, or did you have coverage then?
    MamaMarinara

Answer by MamaMarinara at 6:22 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Whew that's a long wait for medicaid, I have my appointment in 2 weeks and if approved i'll be covered immediately, and I only put my application in last week!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:51 PM on May. 26, 2009