car seats

ok I am a little confused, my son is 6 month and almost 20lbs and in a rear facing Braxton so we are about to turn his car seat around to face the front, my daughter is 3 and weights 36lbs and we have her in a booster seat for the seat belt with a strap to fit the belt on her right, I had someone freak out the other day in a parkinglot when I was getting my kids out that I dont have either of my kids in a right seat, ok I took him out of the carrier car seat cuz him and that thing were too heavy for me to carry many times a day and he sits up fine on his own, and my daughter loves being able to buckle herself like a big girlshe went and helped picked it out and she fits the weight and hight requarments for it, so I dont see the big deal, I read about them before I put my kids in them.

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 6:08 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Eh, I switched mine at 8 months and like 20lbs. He hated rear facing and I hated that stupid carseat.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:37 AM on May. 27, 2009

• a child MUST LEGALLY be rear facing until 20lbs AND (keyword being and) 1 year. you should not have that child front facing as for your older child, im unsure. My dd is 11 mos and 23lbs and is still rear facing her doc said she cant be fron until at least her first birthday though he reccommends rear till age 2.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• ok but I dont see how they can be rear facing to the age of one my daughter was turned around at 6 months also, If my son has to wait any longer he will not be a happy child cuz he already has no leg room
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 6:18 PM on May. 26, 2009

• The earliest you can forward face is when your child is both over 20 pounds and one year old, but the AAP recommends keeping your child in a rear facing car seat until they are 2 years old (or until they reach the maximum height or weight limit to sit rear-facing for your seat, usually around 25 inches tall or 35 pounds in a convertible car seat).
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 6:44 PM on May. 26, 2009

• *sigh* Go talk to a car seat technician. They are at most fire stations. If you don't read the instructions on the seat, I really don't know what to say. Your instructions say one year old is the minimum.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• As for booster seats... yeah, most states require them until 8 years or 80 pounds. Most three year olds should be in a real car seat.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:18 PM on May. 26, 2009

• The baby should be rear facing until 20lbs AND 1 year at a minimum. My son was almost 20lbs at 6 months and long since outgrown his infant carrier but he was still rear facing until he turned 1 (by then he was like 26lbs and 32".
    For the toddler. She should be in a seat with a 5pt harness. In our state they have to be in a carseat until they are 4 supposedly then they can be in a booster (not that anyone cares around here). They recommend not using the car belt until they are 4 and at least 40lbs. If you need something other then the booster seat to make the strap sit right then she is too little for the booster. My 3yo is 32lbs and 38" and in a 5pt harness (which she can almost buckle herself). My oldest dd was in a 5pt harness until she was 6 1/2 because she was so small (she was 38lbs when we moved her to a booster, she's almost 9 now and only weighs 45lbs and still uses the booster).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:18 PM on May. 26, 2009

• A 6mo. old who is forward facing will be internally decapitated in an accident, possibly even a minor one.  It happened to an 18mo. old little boy. Please just watch these videos. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

A 3yr. old in a booster can very likely be killed in an accident as well. It has happened, and two moms who had their 3yr. olds die in boosters are speaking out about keeping kids in a 5pt. harness.  Please just watch these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPBSEQ4xbTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

The

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:50 PM on May. 26, 2009

• It wouldn't let me finish. The bare MINIMUM for forward facing is at least 1yr. old and at least 20lbs. The bare MINIMUM for switching to a booster seat is at least 4yrs. old and at least 40lbs. Please do your research on this, your kids are NOT safe like they are and I would hate for any child to be severely injured or killed when it could be prevented.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My kids were rear facing until a year. Just leave the car seat in the car. You don't have to carry it. My daughter was huge, we might have switched her at 11 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:39 PM on May. 27, 2009