Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Visitation problems!

My ex husband and father of 2, has supervised visitation rights. We agreed that he could come over Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3 and stay as long as he would like. Lately he has been missing days, calling and making excuses as to why he cant make it, and sometimes not calling at all. Today he was supposed to come over and when he didn’t show I called him and his phone has been disconnected even though his work pays for his phone. (they give him money in his pay check to cover it). I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the law is on visitation. I don’t feel like this is healthy for my children! What should I do? Any info and or advice would help thank you!

Answer Question

Asked by candace71306 at 6:08 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 5 (58 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Id cut him off his visitation and go for child support. He obviously doesnt care about his kids so in reality they dont need an in and out father like that.

    Answer by Kennadismom at 6:15 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • First off, is the visitation court ordered or just mutually agreed upon? If it was arranged through the courts you should keep a very detailed notebook. Write down evey date that he has visitation scheduled. By the date write no show, if he calls with an excuse write no show and list the excuses, when he actually shows up write the time he came and when he left. Make a note in your book that on May 26, 2009(today) you tried to call about visitation but phone was disconnected. Next time you go to court show them all of your notes. This is my suggestion

    Answer by valerie0103 at 6:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • It is court ordered that there is supervised visitation but not the days per say. Its on paper that myself or his mother most be there. But the time and place is up to us.

    Answer by candace71306 at 6:37 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • File for modification of visitations..... it's about all you can do.

    Answer by Wildkitten82 at 7:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • Why not find out what the problem is before you "cut off" visitation? He could be having some personal problems. Why are some of you women so quick to cut the dads out your children's lives everytime he makes a mistake?

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • Years of frustration with an ex who only used his visitation when he wanted and me telling the judge is was not fair to my son to be ready to go and be stood up by a selfish deadbeat I was told that the visitation order was to ensure that I let my ex have access to our son and that they cannot make him use it! Super frustrating, but as another poster said keep track of everything so if you go back to court you have it all.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • Find out why he has been missing his visits. Otherwise , there isn't much you can do. Keep track f everything but it is highly unlikely the courts will do anything, they really can't. If he doesn't want to visit, it is his choice. He will not be forced to visit. A court will not terminate parental rights because he doesn't visit as ordered. I tried to have my sons fathers rights terminated after no contact for almost 2 years and it was denied. Make sure the kids know that their father loves them in his own way and it is not their fault that he isn't visiting.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.