what happen to a baby when it is born if the mother was turned in for drinking while pregnant

mother is pregnant right now she is 15 weeks 3 days and has drank from time she got pregnant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well I don't know what state you live in but if you or someone else tells her OB then I think they will try to help her? I don't know if she has a good relationship with her doc but if she continues to drink and when she has the baby in the hospital they will be aware of that and DCF will get involved and she may lose her baby. That may or may not happen. I know someone that did heroin her whole pregnancy, got arrested towards the end of her pregnancy, had the baby in jail and they gave the baby back to her after she got out. I guess it all depends. Sorry if this didn't help.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 6:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Child Protective services always works with the mother to try and keep mother and baby together. If she delivers that baby and she is drunk and/or baby tests positive, shows sign of damage form the alcohol, baby can be taken from mom at the hospital, and them mom has to prove that she has her act together to get the baby back.

If mom is "turned in" now, and gets help, stays sober for the pregnancy, then the chances are next to none that baby will be taken from her. Please try and get this mom to get help and into re-hab!! Alcohol does so much damage to the baby, way worse than meth, cocaine or heroin.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:15 PM on May. 26, 2009

• NOTHING! As I covered in the other question. A fetus that can not live outside the mother is not legally a person. There fore there can't be any legal action taked in it's honor. Drinking while preganant is NOT a crime. Although it's also not smart...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:16 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I used to work at a dental office and one of our patents was born with drunken baby syndrome and it was the saddest thing I have ever seen. This boy was 15 years old and had the mind of a 3 year old! So so sad.
    candace71306

Answer by candace71306 at 6:27 PM on May. 26, 2009

• It is NOT against the law to drink while pregnant, (even though I personally think it should be). CPS can be called if the mother is intoxicated during the birth or the baby has FAS, (fetal alchohol syndrome). My friend worked at a bar, and tried to refuse to serve a very pregnant woman alchohol, and his boss said that was considered discrimination, and he could be fired if he refused to serve her! DISGUSTING!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 7:00 PM on May. 26, 2009