Should I feel bad for thinking this way?

I have a friend, rather a friend of a friend who is always 'pregant.' There were several occasions in highschool when she would claim to be pregnant, five years after we graduated, she claimed to have lost her virginity at my house during a party. First of all, I felt terrible that I let that happen, but I would have never guessed that she was still a virgin (because of all the previous pregnancy lies), so I just assumed that she had gotten drunk and had sex with a guy. Last week she said that she was going to be a mommy, and I congratulated her. But, in the back of my head I was wondering when she would have a "miscarriage." I felt HORRIBLE for even thinking this. Well, today she announced that she lost her baby on Sunday. She claimed that she would have been 5 weeks along today. Of course, I told her that I was sorry for her loss, but idk if I want to believe her or not. I feel bad for doubting her.

IzzysMommy87

Asked by IzzysMommy87 at 6:31 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• All I can do is tell her that I am sorry and not question her, I guess. I just really hope that she has grown up since HS, and is not lying about a miscarriage. If it turns out to be a lie, I will not associate with her anymore, because that is just a terrible thing to lie about. Should I feel like crap for doubting her? Or do you think that my feelings are justified because of her previous pregnancy lies. This is the first time she has ever said anything about losing a child, the other times she just said that she read the test wrong and she wasn't really pregnant. I just HOPE that she is not lying about the loss of her unborn child. I will continue to offer her my condolences, but I will always have the "what if" in the back of my head.
    IzzysMommy87

Answer by IzzysMommy87 at 6:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• there is a mom in my group that does this as well. I feel bad for doubting her but her lies are starting to get tangled so i know it is all made up. I think if you care about her, just go with her stories , say oh sorry and move on. If she is telling the truth she will confront it and ask whats up...if she made it up the guilt will keep her mouth shut. If you dont care about the friendship, call her out on the lies.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:35 PM on May. 26, 2009

• How can you know for sure if she miscarried? You can't. It sounds to me like you have an impulsive liar on your hands. Try to find out and then make your decision. I don't blame you for tiring of her antics.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:41 PM on May. 26, 2009

• We had one of those in school too and yea it's sad because who's to say that one of her "pregnancies" really was real. What's really sad is that they're so desperate for attention and that's why they use that lie, or to get a guy to stay with them/marry them and then "lose" the baby.
    Offer condolences and see how long it takes before she's "pregnant" again.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• She just wants to be pregnant and want attention. Poor Thing!!
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 7:16 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Don't feel bad for doubting her. She has lied about it before, and will probably lie about it again.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:21 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Ugh, it just makes me sick that someone would use such a tragedy to gain attention. Thanks everyone for making me feel less like crap lol.
    IzzysMommy87

Answer by IzzysMommy87 at 7:31 PM on May. 26, 2009

• The sad truth is .. Once you get a reputation.. just like our mothers used to tell us..
    YOUR LIFE THEN IS RULED BY YOUR REPUTATION..
    WEATHER AS A LOOSE GIRL..OR A GIRL WHO LIES...
    SORRY BUT NEITHER ONE OF THEM IS A NICE THING.. AND ATLEAST THE LOOSE GIRL YOU CAN TRUST HALF THE TIME.. JUST NOT AROUND YOUR MAN..LOL
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 10:23 PM on May. 26, 2009