Sleeping issue

I am just entering my second trimester and I was wondering when I'm supposed to start sleeping on my left side? I'm not really big yet, nut from what I've read you need to sleep on the left to prevent cutting off main arteries... i've been stressing over my movement in my sleep so I was just wondering how critical it is

AmyOmommy

Asked by AmyOmommy at 6:37 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I slept on the side that was most comfortable, that left side versus right side doesn't hold water with me....I don't sleep on my stomach or back because that can be dangerous....I use a body pillow later in pregnancy and the reality is as you feel baby kicking and punching more you may find that sleeping on one side means more punching and kicking of the mattress and keeping you awake. I used to have to switch from side to side all night because he would move and use the mattress as a punching bag!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have always been used to sleeping on my stomach and did until about 20 weeks of pregnancy because it wasn't uncomfortable. I am 33 weeks now and have been sleeping on my sides since then. I just think it depends on how big you are.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm 37 (almost 38) weeks and i sleep on both sides.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 8:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I find it more comfortable to sleep on my right side rather than my left side. I also slept on my stomach till I was almost 6mo pregnant (because I wasn't very big and it was comfortable). I toss and turn all night cause my little one has her nights and days mixed up!!! As you get bigger, you'll know when to switch to side laying... it's the only comfortable position!!!
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 8:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I sleep on both. I heard that it is better to sleep on your left, but it is not bad to sleep on your right. My doctor said as long as you are either all the way on your left side, or all the way on your right side, that you should be fine. She said the only concern about it is that there is some major vein that your uterus might rest on, which isn't so good. I will fall asleep on my left, and wake up 2 hours later to switch sides, because I am either A. uncomfortable or B. the side i'm sleeping on is hurting/numb. Make sure you are comfortable.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 9:51 PM on May. 26, 2009