Hiccups

my son is 3 weeks old and he gets the hiccups aleast 3 times a day.. he burps 2 times for a 4 ounce bottle... but then he will get the hiccups for bout 20 mins .. is something wrong?

1sttymmom409

Asked by 1sttymmom409 at 7:07 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no thats completely normal.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:21 PM on May. 26, 2009

• MY SON IS ALSO 3 WEEKS OLD AND HE GETS HICCUPS ALOT TOO. HE BURPS REALLY GOOD BUT IT SEEM LIKE HE GETS THE HICCUPS WHEN HE SPITS UP. HE USE TO GET EM WHEN I WAS PREGNANT TOO. I GUESS ITS NORMAL
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 7:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son always gets at least one air bubble in his tummy at pretty much every feeding. Doesn't matter how much we burp him. He'll be sitting there (after the feeding) and all of a sudden spit up like crazy. He always gets the hiccups afterward and that's the time he does. So when he's laying down and starts hiccuping I know it's because he "threw up" as I like to call it. Maybe your son's hiccups are from an air bubble that came up late? My son is 6 weeks, BTW.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 10:26 PM on May. 26, 2009

• HIccups are a muscle spasm of the diaphragm and nothing to worry about. Young babies tend to have the hiccups when they become over stimulated or stressed. I had to do a lot of research on this topic, because my son can not swallow due to a birth defect, yet he has hiccups and did prenatally.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:50 PM on May. 26, 2009