Can an 18 month old use a potty seat?

My son is 18 months old and I've had a very hard time finding a potty for him. I've bought 3 different ones. One was missing a piece and the pother 2 had really low splash guards that didn't work. I was just wondering if I could get him a step stool and a potty seat for the toilet. Would that work or is he too little? I would help him on and off. Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:11 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son has only ever really used his potty chair for something to stand on. He likes to sit on the big potty like everyone else, so it's okay!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• thats what i did for my son.
    i never did the little pottys, maily cuz i didnt want to clean them. lol
    i got one of those little seats that goes on the toilet seat and a stool. and he was around 18 months
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:15 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My children were a bit older when we bought this one : Potty Seat

It's a tad pricey, but it does not slide or pinch. It adjusts to fit any seat. Also it is easy to clean. Out of all the cheap crappy seats we had tried this one is the best. You can also buy a matching stool.

We got ours at Babies R us.

I do have to say that when my son was sitting down to pee, the pee always seemed to slip between the seats. We have him standing now. He hangs the seat up on the wall with a hook. Then the kids take it down and put it on when they need to sit down. Since it's easy to clean, I don't feel so gross about them touching it.

Not sure if that helped. This company also makes the potty chairs, those might be nice. Not sure though.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 7:18 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I didn't do a stool and seat, just the seat and I lifted them onto the toilet. (I did try it once and the stool slid with the angle when they pushed to get up on the seat.)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:46 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I waited until my kids were 3 to potty train them. The boys never used a potty seat. It's too hard to get their weenie down with such a little seat. They were fine on the big seat.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:35 PM on May. 27, 2009