Question for a breast feeding mom who supplements with formula (no bashing please)!

I am pregnant and my milk supply is dropping quickly even though I am trying my best to keep it up. My child is under a year and needs bm or formula. I would like to nurse her in the morning when she wakes up and at night right before she goes to bed, and during the night on the few times she wakes up in the middle of the night, but supplement with formula the rest of the time.

What is your experience with supplementing and do you think I will still be able to continue nursing those times and ff the rest?

Please don't make me feel bad for my decision. The thing is if I exclusively breast fed at this point my child will starve, and I would like to be the kind of parent that feeds my baby. She's 8 months and I'm proud we've made it this far! And plan to breast feed my next.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump when you FF so your supply won't diminish. Also you can start stocking up for your expecting one! The more you pump/nurse, the more you will make =)
    Anonymous

• lol "i would like to be the kind of parent that feeds my child"
    thats funny
    no reason to feelbad for anything i think you are doing good
    i had to supplement cuz i couldnt keep up, and he did just fine
    im sure the pedi or a lac consultant can help you too
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:37 PM on May. 26, 2009

• That may be true if you aren't pregnant, but no matter how many times a day I nurse my milk supply is still going down. I don't think wearing myself out by pumping all day long is going to improve anything. Last week she was sick and was nursing twice as much as normal every day for 5 days, this week I have less milk than the week before she was sick and was only nursing 5 times a day.
    Anonymous

• 8 months is so great! On my first, I pumped the entire time because of issues in the beginning. But I got 7 months exclusively of milk but I lost the bonding because my Hubby fed her. Second time around I swore I would never lose the bonding, even if it meant formula feeding. Luckily, I made it 10 months with him.

I think if you feel your supply is going down now, if you start supplementing, it might go down even more. Everything I've read is that the second you start supplementing, you run the risk of supply going down and your baby preferring the supplement.

have you tried boosting your supply? I'm not a fan of teas because they take a while to affect my body, but I had great success with More Milk Plus, a liquid booster you can find at Whole Foods. Took about 24 hours to see the increase.

try that out and see if it helps?
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 7:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Agreed.... don't go all day w/o BFing or pumping. That will just make your supply diminish faster.

My oldest son's pediatrician recommended I nurse him as long as he wanted to nurse, then top him off with 2 oz of formula. That's what worked for me.

I've also read, though, that you want to stop nursing as soon as possible once you get pregnant again..... so ya might want to look into that a little, too.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:45 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'd and your Doc if it's ok to take blessed thistle while you're pregnant. I combo fed my twins and it really helped. Before taking it I was the same way- no matter how much I breastfed, the supply just wasn't there and pumping was useless. There's other natural supplements out there that work as well. Good luck!

dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 7:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You cannot take galactagoges while pregnant.

I'd up the solids rather than introduce formula. But your choice. I would not expect to hit the one year mark if formula is used while you're pregnant. It CAN happen...but I wouldn't expect it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:10 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Wow, you're in the exact situation I was in! I became pregnant when my first daughter was 7 months. By 8 months I was supplementing a little, by 10 months I nursed her at bedtime and morning, and by 11 months just in the morning, and our last feeding was at 11 1/2 months (sniff, sniff). I just followed her cues. She became less interested as she became more mobile and my supply dropped. (She was also very accustomed to bottles because I worked part-time). It was a very organic process. Please don't feel bad. Pump if you want to but if you're anything like me, you're utterly exhausted. You're doing a lot for both of your babies. Just keep loving them, nurse as much as you can or want, but don't stress about it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:26 PM on May. 26, 2009

• if your pregnat again i can geuss your little one isnt exactly new born any more. its wonderfull that you did give your baby mommas milk but now your carrying another one and the demands of braestfeeding arnt so realistic. i wanted to breastfeed for the whole first year but my supply cut off. i dont feel bad coz alot of moms dont ever breast feed. and my son is 6 months old, bottle fed and still waay ahead. so dont worry. just transition slowly and the more relaxed you feel about this transition, the more your tot will be too. theres nothing wrong with just holding off nursing untill your new addition arrives! its probably hard to make that decision but baby number one sounds like hes safe and doing great so dont stress, formula is fine. when mine stopped nursing he started solids and what made me feel better was making his own organic baby food in my kitchen. its like nurturing and im making shure he eats well too.. goodluck!
    BillyKraftsMom

Answer by BillyKraftsMom at 3:05 AM on May. 27, 2009