• In the Spotlight:

My 11 yr old daughter has no interest in anything girlie, she is only interested in soccer. Does anyone else have this with their daughters?

I can only get her in a pony tail, nike shorts, tee-shirts or jeans. Any suggestions to girl her up?

SoccerMom3787

Asked by SoccerMom3787 at 7:43 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• why make her be something she isnt? be happy she is into sports and not anything bad... let her be, shes happy and obviously you are proud to be a SOCCERMOM
    Anonymous

• My daughter is the same she is almost 10yrs old she loves to play soccer I support her....she doesnt like to wear anything but pants and short she loves sports......You support her on whatever she likes don't make her something shes not I love watchin my daughter play soccer she always looks soo happy..
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 7:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Leave her be, the more you push the more she will move from you, this is a stage, alot of girls go through this, both mine did and by the time they hit teenage years they start to change, but it is very suttle, and happens over time. If it doesnt happen, dont worry..I know how to dress like a lady when I need to but I like jeans, tee shirt and flip flops. I dress for comfort.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Patience. When I was younger I was into metal or punk music, playing guitar and doing martial arts. I still love all those things but as I've grown up a bit I've gotten to be more girly. I do take pride in the fact that I am still comfortable throwing on jeans and a t-shirt, pulling my hair back and leaving the house with no make-up if I choose. Especially in a world where so many girls refuse to see others without looking "done up."

In my high school years my mom tried getting me to be more girly and all it did was hurt me. I read her "you should wear make-up" as "I'm not pretty without it" type of stuff. It was hard and as much as I try to fully understand it now, I still don't.

She's young, give her time and let her find her femininity on her own, even if it's not until she's out of high school, she will find it. Meanwhile, teach her that part of being a women is being able to look nice in both jeans and a dress.
    Anonymous

• Stop trying to make her into something that she isn't. She will come into her own when she is ready. If you keep pushing she will keep doing it because she knows it bothers you. Do you love her less because she isn't girly? Does it bother you that much that she isn't girly enough? She can be doing so many other things that aren't good, so stop worrying. Atleast she isn't in drugs and getting into trouble.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• WELL I WOULD LIKE TO SUGGEST YOU HAVE GOTTEN OFF EASY.. Your daughter is interested in sports which teach disapline,healthy life habbits and teaches her to balance her time so she can study and do what she loves. and Health surveys show that girls who are involved in soccer and other such sports as heavily as it sounds like your saying with your daughter tend to not become pregnant because they are focused. and will see guys and pregnancy etc as a HUGE REASON SHE COULDN'T PLAY.. Be grateful.. there are girls her age having BABY'S ALREADY.. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS.

MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 10:10 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Appreciate her for who she is. 

Give her stuff SHE likes - see this girls soccer shirt   http://www.cjkidz.com/tshirts.html and soccer stuff http://www.cjkidz.com/sports.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have 3 girls and the 1st and 3rd were cute little girly girls my middle was far from girly girly....now they are 22,17 and 16
    The middle one is the BIGGEST GIRLY GIRL!!! she has tons of jewerly,shoes,purses!! the girl is all girl!!!
    The first and 3rd girls......well they take showers and could care less about fashion...
    my point is, just relax she will become someone entirely different about age 15/16
    enjoy everything about her and embrace her for who she is.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:04 AM on May. 27, 2009

• my thinking is she is fine...my daughter plays soccer but not on a travel team.shes a girley girl...glitz and glam...i tell you that gets tiering.i would love her to be on the travel team with her friends,but shes not into that.she wants to be a cheerleader.ive had 3 girls.my first who is now 30 with her own daughter was super jock.sweats and sneaks thats what it was all about.my second wasnt grunge but a little alternitive...played in the band...my first now works in her mil jewelry store and my second is a real good hair dresser.and my 9 yr old girlie girl we will see. a little of both maybe.they all end up fine...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 1:03 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't understand what's wrong with the way she is.

AnitaVersion2.0

Answer by AnitaVersion2.0 at 1:25 PM on May. 27, 2009