Dating other cultures/races...

I saw a post recently where the person stated that the only reason an American woman would date a Mexican is because she has no self esteem and can't get an American man... The person assumed that the only reason an American woman would get involved in Mexican culture was because she could not fit into her own and so she would change herself to adapt to his... Now I have to ask- WTH?! Do people BELIEVE this stuff? REALLY?!
I am with a WONDERFUL man who happen to be Mexican- and I am as white and American as they come! But I am also VERY self-confidant and I have ALWAYS loved everything about the Mexican culture- that came WAY before the Mexican man! I speak the language and eat the food, love the music, dance the dances and I love my Mexican man... WHy does that mean I am less of a woman or less secure in who I am?
Honestly this post left me speechless. Is that REALLY how people see bi-racial relationships these days?!

ChelaRenee

Asked by ChelaRenee at 7:54 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• SOME people still things that way yes
    i think it is CRAZY
    i love people for who they are not what their heratige is, and NO ONE should ever be made to feel like they are less than anyone else
    people like that infuriate me too
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:56 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Some people yes... and they idiots! I am a mix of four different races and my husband is white. I love him just the same and he loves me just the same.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Ignorance knows no bounds.

I married a mexican man for the hot sex :P
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Mexican men seem very sexy in my opinion. :)

Answer by Bmat at 8:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• thats tottally ignorant.! i am a white woman and my fiance just happen to be black its not bc of his race its bc its who i fell in love with for numerous reason. i.e. hes a damn good man! thats ignorant as you can get!
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 8:09 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Damn! It's hard enough to find someone to love and respect for the rest of your life (and for the person to return the feelings!), so who the hell cares who or what they are?? The ignorance of some will never cease to amaze me...
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 8:21 PM on May. 26, 2009

• It's been a joke amongst my friends for years now that I'm racist against the American or white people... and I'm white!

It's only because I've dated a guy from nearly every other race except my own. I've never looked at race as a deciding factor in a relationship. I just look at the guy and whether or not I like them as a person.

It does get hard occasionally because you can go out and get weird looks from society. And sometimes family even feels the need to pass judgment and want you to be with someone your own race thinking it will make things "easier." Honestly, in today's age, I don't think being in a mixed relationship is any easier or more difficult than being in a relationship with someone of your own race.
    kenpofghtr

Answer by kenpofghtr at 8:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Maybe it's because they themself are an ignorant person that fell in love with or married a mexican and they duped her?
    I don't know... like Ron White says... you can't fix stupid.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Some people do think this way.. but honestly MOST white girls I have seen date outside of their race are NOT the ones that come from upper class families, going to college, etc. To each their own though. I don't care who anyone dates as long as they stay off "my back porch".
    Anonymous

• Ask her if she would reject Antonio Banderas :)

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:22 PM on May. 26, 2009