military wifes

where was your first duty staion? did you like it? if not, did you adapt quickly and feel homey? let me know sugars!

NewLady1

Asked by NewLady1 at 8:10 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• we moved from Mobile, Alabama to Jacksonville Arkansas (LRAFB). its different than what i expected. but i dont hate it. i did not adapt quickly-i was very homesick for a while. but its better now.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:12 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Our First Duty station was Fort Bragg, NC! I loved it soooo freaking much. I adapted very quickly. So much to do and so many things to be apart of. The base housing lovely the new and 2 commissaries so convenient.
    3LiftedMe

Answer by 3LiftedMe at 8:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Millitary Mommies rock! (Sorry I know this isn't relevant to your question, but I just don't want to miss a chance to say it!). I am not one of you but I know it's not easy and I respect what you do a lot. You work extra hard so your husbands can serve at the request of our nation. Thanks for the hard work!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:28 PM on May. 26, 2009

• We have been in VA for the entire duration of my hubby's enlistment (there's only a few places he can go because of his job). However, I moved from a small town to the largest metropolitan area in VA...it was a culture shock. I have adapted to it, and sort of miss it when i'm gone. Like with ANYTHING in the military, it is what you make of it. IF you decide to be happy and make the best of the situation, you'll fare alot better then if you decide to hate everything..lol.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:31 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I went from a rural life in the Appalachian Mountains straight to San Diego. I was married at 18 (and no, I wasn't pregnant..that happened a couple years later...LOL) and was in for a huge culture shock. I adapted well and learned to love it! The keys to military family success are adaptation, acceptance and a positive attitude :) I've been at this for 11 years now ...I LOVE military life!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 8:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Thanks for your support, Beckcorc!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 8:37 PM on May. 26, 2009

• ummm, lets see, we were stationed at Hunter Army Air Field in Georgia, when my husband was an Army Ranger. Then we were at Fort Stewart. Then we moved on to Fort Hood, Texas. And now we are at Fort Bragg, NC. The only place that I actually lived on post though was on Fort Hood. I didn't like it very much though. Now here in NC we live in Fayetteville, its okay so far, we have only lived here for about 9 months and will probably only be here for another 9 months because hubby is going SF. I have been with my husband since we were 17 years old (we are both 26 now) and I basically knew what he wanted to do and I couldn't be more proud of him. Is it hell sometimes?? Yes, but would I trade my life with him (and the military) for a life without him?? HELL NO!!
    Anonymous

• When he first enlisted we were living in Maine so he travelled up to Brunswick, ME, and we just never really got a "taste" of the military lifestyle at that point.
    His first transfer was down to Portsmouth, VA, and that was fun. We lived in Little Creek housing in Va Beach outside of Gate 5 of the Amphib base. I hate living in crowded places like that, but it was nice having everything so convenient to us - commissary, Gator Pool, Naval Hospital, Boone Clinic, etc. Plus, my husband grew up in Williamsburg so we always got to see his family, which was very nice.
    In 2007 he got transferred up to DC and we bought a house an hour south in the suburbs. We love it here so far from the hustle and bustle of city living. He loves his new detail (NCIS) and will not be reenlisting so he can put his college education and extraordinary skills to some good use in a better paying job.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:00 AM on May. 27, 2009