what do you feel about?

bi-racial couples? my man is black well cape verdan and i am white. why does older couples stare at us so much? even though bi-racial is more frequent, than back then. why do they think white women with black men are disgusting? i carry myself well and my husband is a gentlemen, and carrys hiself like one. dresses to perfection, not them gross saggy pants hanging guys. why do older people think like this? well some do.. NOT everyone does. but i just want some input on this race issue. :) ???

NewLady1

Asked by NewLady1 at 8:13 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• because their parents taught them to be that way it used to be that way with my ex.... some people are ignorant and still cannot accept that we are all people no matter what color ....
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 8:15 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm not sure what everyone's reason is, but I think it's because it's just not as common and white white black black.. you're not the only one, it goes that way with big age difference couples, same sex couples.. other color differences couples.. even the difference in dress couples. You're not the only one.
    Smile and say "how are you today?" and that'll likely show you they're not meaning to be rude, you might just be sensitive to it.
    I asked a friend of mine who was black why he preferred white, blonde women and his answer was fascinating to me. He said he liked the fact that they were complete opposites in body, that it was beautiful to see black skin next to white. I forget his exact wording but it sounded beuatiful the way he described it.
    Either way... if you love him, then just smile and know you prolly got the better partner out of you and the person you think is judging you.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• dunno.. are you sure that is why they stare at you? Are you staring at them to see if they are staring at you? Maybe they are just looking back at you thinking "what is she looking at?" Also it hasn't been that long that People were raised with idea that mixing races wasn't the best idea. I come from a small town and even the YOUNG People think it isn't right to mix.. I remember visiting a friend a few years back and in her ( small) town if you were a white girl and dated a black man, no other white guy would want to be with you again.. Maybe redneck towns? lol.. but really do you care what people think? AS long as you and your husband are happy! Then live happy! :)
    Anonymous

• i dont care what people think. it was a question lol
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 8:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Do you live in the South? I think the older Southern people have lots of prejudices and they just haven't been out and around much. They are set in their ways and narrow-minded. We were in the Air Force where race doesn't seem to be an issue-my kids knew kids from all races and religions and we saw nothing strange about inter-racial couples. My son's best friend is Black and Creole and he married a Swedish girl. No big deal. They are happy. They have two of the cutest kids. My daughter dated a guy whose father was white and mother was vietnamese. Then an African American. We liked both of them. This was in highschool and college.
    People just have to get over their narrow minded negative views of the world and all of its people.
    Anonymous

• Oh man, does he make you awesome CaboVerdiano food?

I'm jealous. I had a Coboverdiano cook for me when I was in Portugal. I wish I could get my rice like that.

For the older generations, even if they're not racist, many still find it a novelty...more like something interesting than something bad.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:29 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My so is white, and I am black. We went to a local park with our 11 month dd this past weekend. You should have seen all the people staring!! I felt really uncomfortable, as I was the only black person in the entire park!
    Anonymous

• as someone who doesn't believe in interracial relationships, (of any kind, black & white, chinese & white, black & mexican) I try not to stare, because it is rude. however, not every one is as considerate. even though bi-racial relationships are more common these days, they are still not completely accepted. however, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that just because people are staring, that they are judging you. Maybe it's just in wonder. Like I said, personally, I couldn't date outside my race, but that doesn't mean that I judge everyone who does. I also believe that it's not my place to judge anyone else for the life they choose to live. so anyway to sum it up, if you choose to be different, whether it be by dating outside your race or piercing every part of your face or covering your body in tattoos, then you will always be looked at. It is not always a bad thing, it is just something you have to learn to deal with.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 10:45 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My mom wouldn't let me play with black children and would probably die if she knew my first boyfriend was bi-racial. We were not raised in the deep south either. I think some people just feel this way, even people in my generation because of the way they were raised or whatever.
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 2:17 AM on May. 27, 2009