Adding rice cereal into the bottle?

I have a 3 month who primarily eats breast milk from a bottle. I can't get her to eat more that 4oz at a feeding and she was eating about every 3-4 hours but now wants to eat every 2-3. I've tried increasing the amount she eats but she won't take more than the 4oz. I'm wondering about adding some rice cereal into the breast milk to slightly thicken it up so it sticks with her a bit longer. I don't want to make a shake, just add a little substance. Obviously the pediatrition is against eating cereal before 4 months and says I should hold her off for 3-4 hours between feedings and just let her cry. My insticts as a mother are telling me she needs more than just the breat milk. Has anyone else done this?

Xansmom00

Asked by Xansmom00 at 8:16 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 2 boys ages 8 and 10.

My Mamo was a pediatric RN for eons! Her youngest my Mom was born at not quite 7 months in 1946. She lived! I think she know what she is talking about! She was my mainstay for advice!

My oldest was born a month early and when he was about 6-7 weeks old he was nursing every 2 hours. We had just completed a cross country military move and I was exhausted. Mamo told me to put the rice cereal in his night time bottle and she had me make the hole in the nipple a little larger with a big safety pin...not much..just a little so it wouldn't clog. It was a miracle!

We did the same thing with my youngest. No problems. They are very healthy and neither has a weight problem, I would like to add that my oldest tended to be on the thin side as a baby.

Women were raising children long before the word pediatrician existed! I trust my own instincts and I trust my Mamo. Feed that baby!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:28 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I know people who have done it at 8 wks!!! I think a mommy knows best. I dont think it will hurt if you just do a little. I mean its a month away...i dont think it really matters
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 8:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• According to La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd edition, on average most breastfed babies take between 2-4 ounces about 8-12 times per day, consuming about 28-32 ounces total per day. Every 2-3 hours sounds about right!

Read this article: Baby Bottles and Cereal

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle. You will find lots of moms who gave baby cereal in the bottle (for reflux, or because they wanted to) and their baby is now "fine". Just because their baby did not have a negative reaction does not mean that your baby won't.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I did the same thing but before bedtime to get my son to sleep threw the night, and it worked! I started him at 2 months, and he is now a healthy 4 year old!!! I did exactly what you said just a little bit of rice cereal to thickin it a little bit! I would say it is up to you, yeah the doctors make the "rules" for a reason but you know your child. Once you try it just watch to make sure that there is no allergic reaction, and all should be fine!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:20 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Three months old? Yeah, it's growth spurt time. I honestly wouldn't recommend adding rice cereal to her bottle. The reason it "sticks with them" longer is because it is hard on their little tummies to digest. It has no nutritional value either. She needs that good healthy momma milk!
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You are absolutely NEVER supposed to add cereal to a bottle because it is a choking hazard. If you are okay with that then go for it. I wasn't, so I didn't do that.
    Anonymous

• Our pediatrician advised us not to add cereal to a bottle because it is a choking hazard and because cereal-in-bottle babies tend to over eat. We just fed every three hours, although I was supplementing with formula.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• If you want to feed her more, put it in a bowl and use a spoon. Never put cereal in a bottle.
    JanetG.

Answer by JanetG. at 9:02 PM on May. 26, 2009

• when my mom had my sister she wasn't getting enough at night and she would be up every hour to two hours wanting to be fed and my mom mixed breast milk with a little bit of mashed potatoes so she was still getting the nutrients she needed but the mashed potatoes stuck with her making her more comfortable..
    Anonymous

• Wait a second... why can't your baby have breastmilk every 2-3 hours? Both of my daughters, nursed on demand, always nursed every 1.5-2 hours. Why would you need to keep it to 3-4 hours? Some babies can only hold a little at a time, and nursing every 2 hours is perfectly normal. My 8 month old who is on solids is just now slowing down to every 3 hours, but sometimes still nurses every two.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:08 PM on May. 26, 2009