Trouble feeding solids

Does anyone have trouble feeding their baby solids. My 1yr hates to eat. He can eat a 4oz jar but I really have to do A LOT to convince him to stay in his high chair, and wear a bib. At one point I gave up on the bib bcuz he screamed his head off like if I was choking him (it was on very loose), then he screams cuz he's in the seat. I really don't want to change his routine (eating in a high chair) but I was curious to know what other's in my situation have done.

I've:
made choo choo, motor, beeping sounds,
read to him,
put music,
give him a spoon (then I struggle to get him to take it out of his mouth so I can feed him),
make silly faces,
play peek a boo with the bib.

I NEED HELP!!
btw, a feeding therapist comes in and he does great with him!

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 8:16 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Jarred babyfood tastes awful. give him hunks of avocado, tofu, whole grain pasta, baked sweet potato, etc.
    What does the feeding therapist do that you don't?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Do you give him a bottle before eating? Are you sure he's really good and hungry before trying?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:38 PM on May. 26, 2009

• One more thought...do you just put food on his tray and let him eat it? Cheerios, pancakes, waffles, soft veggies and fruit, etc? I'm rembering now that by 1 my kids were pretty much off jarred foods...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Let him feed himself. 1 year olds like to eat things they can feed themselves. Cut up his food in small bitesized pieces and let him feed himself. He may make a mess but he needs to learn how to feed himself. I would stop the bottled food too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on May. 26, 2009