Arent they just as important? Please see below.

why is everyone so supportive of our troops and make a real big deal out of them but a lot of people and mostly the same people just brush the police, state troopers, fire fighters, and EMTs under the rug?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know. Maybe it's because the military members are in a war right now. Maybe it's because they take everyday things like cops and ENT for granted.

Being in a military family myself I tend to be more supportive of them because it's what's in my face everyday. All of the others should be appreciated too though...especially cops.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:35 PM on May. 26, 2009

• as a firefighter i would really like to know this one
    Anonymous

• Good queestion. I have no idea. I have so much respect for everyone who puts themselves in danger to help others.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:39 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I guess Id also like to say that where I live, the firefighters, EMT and cops are all military too so they fall under the same blanket as far as support.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I cannot answer for anyone else but I appreciate them all. I wave, smile, and thank when the chance comes my way. If I want my children to do it I should do it, right? I don't have a sign in the window of my car or anything but I show respect and get annoyed when people bad mouth or what really gets me when someone is not paying attention and doesn't get out of the way for an EMT, police, or fire truck grrrrrrrr.

mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 9:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Speaking for myself I have the utmost respect for all who commit a life of protecting and serving. Whether at a local or national level. On our street we have 4 police officers, 2 firefighters, and EMT, and about a half dozen military. We all show a mutual respect for each other in our community and those who serve everywhere...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I don't know why they aren't appreciated. I think growing up in an area where a lot of police can not be trusted, has an impact on your feelings about cops. But, now that my SIL is a cop, I have a new appreciation for them. I've always respected fire fighters, I think their job is very rough and they are the most underappreciated heroes in my opinion.

I also think being a military wife, causes me to show just a little more loyalty to what soldiers do.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I dont think they are swept under the rug, but its a totally different life. Around here they are very much appreciated but the military has a different job, with different sacrifices for a different cause. Its really sort of apples and oranges.

I will say, as far as cops go, there's ALOT of people who dont trust them. so thats a whole nother post.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I guess it all depends. My dad is Army and my brother is Air Force, so I have a lot of love and support for out troops. On the flip-side, one of my best friend's dad is a firefighter/EMT. Personally, I make it a point to thank every officer, firefighter, EMT, etc I come in contact with (within reason...I won't interrupt their work) to let them know that they are very much appreciated for all that they do! There was once that I was at a light right next to a fire engine and I rolled down my window, got their attention and thanked them (it was on 9/11/06, actually). I can't say why some people don't give credit where it's due, however I think that the troops are more of a front burner entity while most people don't remember the other heros until their lives depend on them. EMTs and police officers saved my life when I was 6 and was attacked by a dog, so I guess I tend to think of them more often.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 9:38 PM on May. 26, 2009

• DEPLOYMENT........I don't think I could do that. Part of the "support" IMO is supporting the families left behind for months or years. That is something I'm not sure I could do.

While I am thankful for Police Officers, EMTs, and Fire Fighters......they are "home" :) I just think it is different.
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 9:52 PM on May. 26, 2009