HOW CAN YOU GET A SPOILED 3YR OLD TO STOP SLEEPING WITH YOU AND YOUR HUBBY!!!

I WANT MY SEX LIFE BACK!!! MY 3YR OLD HAS BEN SLEEPING WITH US SINCE BIRTH!! WE HAVE AN EMPTY ROOM WITH HER NAME WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

kingskidneal

Asked by kingskidneal at 8:44 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• put her in her bed and let her cry it out. occassionally say"we are here nite nite" if she gets up put her back. you are going to ahve a week or so of hell but then she will be fine. YThis is why i chose not to co sleep at all...too easy to get stuck. I am all for a good cuddle but I enjoy my time and space with dh too much to let that go. :o) good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:46 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Give her a token of some kind. Put her in her bed. If she leaves her bed, she loses the token. If she still has the token in the morning, she gets a small reward.

I'm doing something similar with my daughter's habit of "just after bedtime potty runs" and it's working quite well. If she earns 5 out of 7 stars in the week, she gets a small ice cream cone as a reward. She is very excited to get that star every morning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• should had put her with you to begin with...
    Anonymous

• Bribe her. Cookies, cupcakes, toys.

Or you could go the opposite direction and tell her she loses her toys (one or two toys at a time, every time she gets out of bed) if she doesn't sleep in her own bed.
    lucedarvey

Answer by lucedarvey at 9:45 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Time and Patience is what it will take. It took time to biuld the bad habit and it will take time to break the bad habit. I agree with the token/ award Chart. My daughter would always come in after I went to sleep I finally had to ask her why she liked my room. She liked it because I had a big comfy comforter on my bed and she liked it so I bought her her own comfy character one even though it was 2 big for her bed. I give her a choice of 2 stuffed animals/ baby dolls and tuck her in with a night light and at first she would also sleep with a lamp on in her room that I shut off after she went to sleep sound enough to not hear the light click. Some nights it would stay on all night it is how they feel safe.
    lighting

Answer by lighting at 10:20 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have a 5yr old, 3 1/2 yr old, 8 month old and dh in my bed. When co- sleeping you have to know in the beginning that it doesn't stop over night. This is the only way she knows to sleep. you could try laying in her bed with her until she falls asleep. We tried this when I was prego with #3. It worked for awhile, then I had trouble pulling my 8 months pregnant butt out of a toddler bed. Good luck!
    terrid2

Answer by terrid2 at 10:24 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Patience. Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" for toddlers by Elizabeth Pantley. and it was NOT a mistake to have the baby with you.

Sex? Who needs a BED for sex? C'mon, ladies. Use your imaginations.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:45 PM on May. 26, 2009

• go back in time and put the kid in her own bed at 8 weeks old. Sorry, you let it go on this long, you have a long road ahead of you of crying, climbing back into your bed, and overall sleeplessness. This is why I never co-slept. How Do you not have sex for 3 years?
    We did cry it out....but he was 6 weeks old, it was easier then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on May. 27, 2009

• *shakes her head* shame on you OP for allowing your 6 week old to cry himself to sleep, where is your heart?? If you wanted to have sex whenever you wanted, you shouldn't have had a kid!

I seem my fellow Elisabeth Pantley advocate has already chimed in. This is a great book and will give you many tools on transcitioning your child into his own bed without causing him any trauma.

You did nothing wrong by cosleeping, don't ever feel guilty for it, he will cherish that kind of a start for the rest of his life, good job!

Everything takes work. potty training, learning your abc's, sleeping in your own bed as well.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:46 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Positive reinforcement and patience. Use a sticker chart for every day that she sleeps more hours in her own bed. Complement her on how well she is doing transitioning into her own big girl bed. I think taking her out of your bed, where she has always been, and just letting her cry to sleep will make bedtime really scary and sad for her. Just take your time, she's been there three years, whats another few weeks right?

Also why not have sex in your empty room after she sleeps in the meantime? :)

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:53 AM on May. 27, 2009