Views on child harnesses

I have always been very much against child harnesses but recently had been considering getting one since I have 1 yr old twins and a 2 yr old but then I was at Walmart and seen a man with a child (about 2) with one and he would jerk her back as if she was a dog anytime she would try to walk away. This really made me start picturing it as a leash again. What are your views on them? Do you or have you used them and why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to think "that's horrible! I'd never put my child on a leash!" and then....my second child came along LOL. He's a runner. He would sprint off and hide. Though it was challenging, it wasn't REALLY a problem until my 3rd child came along. Have you tried chasing a 3 yr old through a crowded place while pushing a stroller? Or in a parking lot? His safety was my main concern. I needed to keep him with me and the baby. I guess I kind of looked at it as a training tool...going from riding in a stroller to walking by mommy. So now that I understand WHY someone would use one, I am completely NOT against them. However, if I saw someone jerking their child on one, I'd probably make a crappy comment to them...or at least mutter it under my breath.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:50 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Before my son was a toddler I thought they were like putting your kid on a leash like a dog, once he started wanting to walk and unbuckling his stroller buckle when he wanted out I thought 'oh I'll just always hold his hand, he'll learn to stay by my side" the first time we were at a fair and I let go to carry food and he shot away from me laughing at 2 1/2 I couldn't find a "leash" fast enough! And I swear more than once I went back home when I realized I left it behind and thought I would need it. I see them as a safety tool, it's all in how you treat it and those backpack ones they have now are really cute.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'd say he was using it incorrectly.

They can be useful for some parents, in some situations. Like everything else, their is no "one right answer". Only you know how well your child obeys, how likely she is to run into the street and give you a silly grin just because she knows it will make you mad, how well you can monitor her whereabouts while shopping or in a crowded situation.

Some perfectly wonderful parents know they need one and use one.
    Some perfectly wonderful parents know they don't need one and don't use one.

It's a safety device. It's up to you to decide if it's necessary for YOUR child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have used them. That man you saw was not using them as they were (or are) intended.

I feel it's an added safety measure when I have a slippery little hand in mine who could slip away in a second while I am distracted by his brother.

It's an extra safety measure when we're in a crowded area, my attention is split between three boys and some pervert wants to try to grab one of the boys.

You have to make up your own mind about them. This always becomes a hot topic and the insults will start flying. The hell with whatever anyone says (including me) you're the one who has to make the decision of what is best for your kids.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Because one person uses something badly it doesn't make the thing itself bad. I used them with my twins and would do it again in a heartbeat.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm not sure if I'd use one...I don't care what OTHER parents do with their kids..
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:56 PM on May. 26, 2009

• i love it. my son has to use one because he loves to run from me and I don't consider them a leash i consider them a safety tool
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 8:58 PM on May. 26, 2009

• i have 18 mo old twin boys and i bought one of the doggie backpack eashes my kids love trhe back pack but the minute i hold the leash part they sit on the floor and won't budge! but i brought for when i traveled and really enjoyed the security of it! and i agree just because you saw someone inproperly use it does not mean tghats how you will with three kids your main concern should be keeping them safe and with you so if you need a leash then use it! or maybe when they get older do the john and kate pus 8 think and get a rope with hande bars.. teach them how to hold on.
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:02 PM on May. 26, 2009

• excuse the mispelling errors, i'm tired
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm not a fan, but I guess there could be times where it could be used well. I just see too many parents holding 2 kids on leashes and staring off into space. My kids are 15 months apart ... the second one is just now crawling... so I guess I shouldn't really say anything till I see how this is going to go. I plan on using a double stroller once I can't wear my little one anymore, but we'll see...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:17 PM on May. 26, 2009