what age do kids have growth spurts and does it hurt?

my son is turning six years old in a months time and was complaing of a sore leg last night he was in a bit of pain he is not a attention seeker so when he says there is something wrong i believe him the thing is ther was no bruises no signs of it being sore and he was just laying down i asked him if he had fallen over or hurt i he said no the leg was still hurting when he went to bed and i was woken about 10:pm to him crying cause it was so sore this morning he said it was fine just a little bit sore i heard this could be a growth

tumtum360

Asked by tumtum360 at 8:46 PM on May. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• growth spurts usually happen when hitting puberty so he is too young, he might have pulled a muscle if pain persist take him to Doc.
    Anonymous

• My 7yr old has complained for over a year of leg pain, behind the knees. Her doc said she was fine, either she has growing pains (which happen most at sleep) or her fit throwing is to blame, she kicks alot. But even if she wasn't kicking alot, she hurts ever now and then. Do take him to the doc, mine said there was something he'd look for if there was a problem but I forget what it was. Now my son had a scarring on the bone from a broken leg and had lots of pain from growing, he was x-rayed once and they said he had large growth plates so he grows twice as much in a growth spurt as other kids, so he hurt more.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 8:58 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I never thought growing pains were real until my five-year-old son had them. He has had them off and on for about two years. He'll have a couple of bad nights and then nothing for a few months. I rub his legs, put a mild muscle cream on his legs or maybe a heating pad, and that seems to help. My almost three-year-old daughter woke up just last night with what appears to be her first bout with growing pains. I never had them, but my kids definitely do. I have talked to their pediatrician, and that is what they are. He also said that it can sometimes be caused by a very active day of play.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 10:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My youngest son had them. He woke up crying for several nights in a row. I called doctor and she said it was okay to give Motrin at night. I also would rub his legs before he went to bed. I think the leg pain stopped around 6 or 7. For my son it wasn't a long time.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 11:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes, growing pains are real. My son is 7 and hes had them, but not nearly as much as my 11 yr old. Shes right in the midst of puberty and her knees hurt her a lot. Thats the biggest growth spurt they have but I think GP can happen at any time. Motrin is good.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:18 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Yes growing pains occur at young ages like that and they hurt like the dickens. I thought my daughter was going to be crippled or something the way she carried on about age 5-6. My son had problems with it later, at about 8 but it's all normal. See if the dr will allow Motrin. That seems to be the thing that works best.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:10 AM on May. 27, 2009