Why do you think a person chooses to become a Special Education Teacher?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As the mother of 2 autistic children, and a substitute teacher (preschool-12th grade, all disciplines, regular and special ed.), I have already witnessed the "good the bad and the ugly" when it comes to special ed. teachers, administrators, and aides. Some of them were BORN to teach children with special needs, others are definitely in it for the easier "niche."

Having the "inside scoop" on how SOME teachers REALLY feel about certain groups of children has been quite helpful in setting my childrens IEP goals and objectives! Most of the teachers I work with do not know about my children (different school districts), so I "relish" in listening to them talk about the "weird kids" they have!

I feel like a spy, but trust me when I say, if anything more than venting comes out of their mouths, I WILL be having a little chat with the school principal or superintendent! It's the ONLY way something will be done about the problem!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:23 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Love of kids with disability. That is the only reason.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• As the other poster said, love! There are other reasons as well. Some schools will pay more if you have a degree in Special Ed. But for the most it is out of pure love.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 8:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would say love too. However I would also guess that they have seen indifference when it comes to special ed. or new some one with disabilities
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 9:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• love yes and they get pay more money than regular teachers
    Anonymous

• I was advised to get my master's and cert in SpEd to make myself more marketable. I was certified to teach HS English when I finished my BA; and, I dropped the law school idea. However, I have 18 years the field and I'm currently a department head. SpEd students truly challenge your views of the world and remind you that all things are possible. It's challenging, but one of the most rewarding things when your students have even the smallest victory! (In my district, SpEd teachers don't get paid more money. However, they receive two extra planning periods each week to complete paperwork related to Team meetings.)
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• SPecial Ed is something you have to have a real heart for. My aunt was a special ed teacher for 25 years, and made a HUGE impact on the community as a result. I dont think I could have dealt with alot of the stuff she had to.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:29 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Well, seeing as my best friend is a Special Education teacher, I can say that in her case and most others' it's out of love for people with special needs. It takes a very special and caring person to want to teach cognitively impaired children! Also, there is a lot more that goes into teaching Special Education than mainstream. There are more meetings, IEP meetings, more planning, teaching basic life-skills for the older students so that they can function in society, etc. I can say, though, that there are certain people who do it for the money. 9/10 times, though, they don't last more than a few years at best.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 9:32 PM on May. 26, 2009

• dont like normal students?
    Anonymous

• It is certainly challenging, I am just thankful to God that their are those folks who want to be special ed teachers!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:13 AM on May. 27, 2009