could my ear ache and sore throat be caused by tooth/gum issue?

i had a mild tooth ache on my left side of mouth yesterday and this evening have ear ache in the left ear as well as sore throat on the left side. could earaches and sore throats be due to tooth/gum issues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Health

• They could be, but the sinuses and ear are all involved there, too. I went to the dentist for similar symptoms, and he saw no infection and sent me to my doctor who treated with antibiotics. Allergies can also cause pain in the area because of sinus involvement.

Answer by Bmat at 9:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• well if you have a tooth/gum infection it could cause your ammune system to be in the dumps and cause you to get sick...like your sore throat and so on. But let me run this by you to.......I work at a ear nose and throat clinic as a personal assistant and a surgical assistant.....at first when you mentioned the ear pain and tooth pain.....it kinda sounded like TMJ aka known as lock jaw. It can feel like your tooth..but its really your jaw and muscles around it....and that can cause you to have ear pain...which is actually reffered pain to the ear not a ear infection. Does your jaw click when you chew? Or anything like that?
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 9:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• no my jaw doesnt click. i just realized the ear pain is spreading behind my ear in the direction of my neck. i guess i'll see how i am feeling tomorrow and call the doctor/dentist? i'm just worried this is something viral that i might pass on to my toddler.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it can. It could also be allergies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on May. 26, 2009

• it could be a virus but TMJ can cause pain towards the temple, behind ear, neck and jaw......because there are 5 muscles that come off of it....its very possible for TMJ too....but going to the doc is the best answer...that way you can get a diagnosis thats proper after a physical exam
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 9:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Take some garlic to fight the infection. I use the liquid gels. They seem to work better than the solid pills and no heartburn.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:45 PM on May. 26, 2009