buns or plain?

When you give your kids hot dogs and hamburgers do you give them an option of buns or not buns? If they get a bun do you make them eat it or just throw it out? Just curious what other moms do.

mommabear2008

Asked by mommabear2008 at 9:04 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The bun isn't all that nutritious, although a whole wheat bun would be a bit more nutritious. If they don't want the bun then they shouldn't be forced to eat it. It is more important to get the protein and vegetables and dairy, although whole grains are also recommended. But white hamburger and hotdog buns aren't very valuable as far as nutrition.

Answer by Bmat at 9:09 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Its optional. Generally speaking, everything is optional. My kids eat a wide enough variety of foods I'm not picky about them disliking something in particular. Besides that, sometimes you're just not in the mood for something and don't want any.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• well most of the time my kids like to eat exactly what were eating so if we use buns they have to have them also, most of the time they don't eat them. My daughter picks at the bun but mostly eats the meat or wiener. I don't make them eat it, as long as they ate the rest of the food or a good portion It doesnt really matter to me wheather or not they eat the bun.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 9:22 PM on May. 26, 2009

• It's optional. I would rather them not even waste the bun. I don't give my child something he is not going to eat just because I am eating it. That is a waste of food and money.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:24 PM on May. 26, 2009

• whole grain buns at our house

Answer by rkoloms at 11:54 AM on May. 27, 2009