child back talking

how can i get my 7 yr old to stop having the last word when she gets in trouble?

lilcalimom02

Asked by lilcalimom02 at 9:25 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• LOL... this reminds me of my foster parents. The kids in the group home they ran allways would sit and fight for the last word when in an argument with one of the house parents. Its an authority and respect issue. They get the last word in and then they feel that they have control of the situation. Its not that you want them to feel like they have "lost" control, but that they willingly submit to the authority around them. My foster dad would say "this discussion is over", if you felt that your point wasn't heard or understood, then you were welcome to write our a letter expalining your point, but, if you continued to argue, then he would just look at you and start reciting a list of chores till you stopped and walked away. But even if you stoped mid sentance, if he listed the chore off, you had to do it. LOL... only new commers argued.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:06 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Just do not pop/tap him in the mouth cause I did and man how I wish I think before acting
    Anonymous

• My 9yo dd still does this to me. I'm slowly learning to try not to have the last word myself, because I think that's where she got it from...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:31 PM on May. 26, 2009