How do I teach my son that its not nice to hit?

My son is almost obsessed with hitting. He walks around throwing his arm in the air like hes trying to hit something. He also hits me and my husband and our dog. Im expecting again in july and Im scared he will hit his baby brother.

babyboyfactory

Asked by babyboyfactory at 9:25 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• immediate response when he does hit, tell him no, put him in time out and when he comes out of time out tell him why its not nice. that it hurts and it hurts peoples feelings. if he likes to hit so much,you could get him something he can punch, a big stuffed bear or something like that and tell him its ok to hit that but not people or animals, that way he can still do it and he can express his anger there too when he does get angry. that worked for my daughter
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• How old is he? Exactly , at a certain point children will just hit to hit. What I suggest doing is that if he likes to hit things and continues to with no regard to discipline. I would get him a couple of toys not to reward him but to show him that these are the things you are allowed to hit not mommy not daddy but this, Such as a toy hammer and a piece of wood, or this small handy manny nail set where its fun to hit them and try showing him by example that you hit this but not people.
    Kagjugee

Answer by Kagjugee at 11:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• When he hits you, calmly put his hands down and say, "No hitting" then say, "Mommy wants to see nice touches or easy hands" Then demonstrate an easy touch with your hand and then help him to touch easy by holding his hand. Remember to reward him with praise, or stickers, etc when you see him using easy touches. Say to him, "I love the way you are using easy touches." and then reward him.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I always told my kids hands are for hugging and then put them in time out. My mother has a theory that when you tell a child no hitting or anything else all they hear is hit and think it is okay. Instead of telling them what they CAN'T do, tell them what the CAN do.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:14 AM on May. 27, 2009