• In the Spotlight:

I need to get $700 to take a course this summer. I do not have that kind of money and I cannot get financial aid on it or a loan because it is past the deadline. I talked to everyone at the school and they said there is no way. Does anyone know of anything else I could do ? Should I get a credit card just to pay for this class ? Or is that a ridiculous idea? I don't know how else I can come up with that kind of money.

I work part-time. I don't make any extra money than what I need to pay bills for - and I'm even struggling with them. I need this course so I can continue my education ... any ideas would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Go to Grants.gov There is all kinds of money!

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:24 PM on May. 26, 2009

• First off good for you for wanting to further your education! You're a little late in the game to be applying for aid for summer but you should go ahead and apply for fall/spring now!
    As for making the money for the course why don't you consider selling Avon? You can make money quickly if you really get out there and try! Its only $20 to start and you can start making money instantly online! Just go to www.start.youravon.com and use ref code dhullum to sign up. You could sign up and then host a few fundraisers for schools, daycares, summer programs, churches or even yourself and make money quick! Good luck to you!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I understand where your coming from there. You may have to get creative there in seeking the funds for the classes. If you can't get financial assistance then why not take advantage of credit.
    Credit cards are not the enemy,it's the way people use them. You are investing in the most important thing your education. Trust and believe you are not hurting yourself anymore than the federal aid and loans.
    If you need a Credit card go to www.1url.com/sasgoodiecredit you can use the credit card finder,this allows you to compare cards and find the best card for you. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! Goodluck with school,
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 11:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Could you sell plasma to make an extra $700? Talk to the financial aide office and see about making payments directly to them, and ask them about scholarships.

I really don't think you should get a credit card especially if you are already struggling to make ends meet. Also most colleges charge a fee when you use a credit card. So not only are you charging $700 on an 18% interest credit card, but the college is charging you another 2 to 4% up front just to use the card- add to that the fact that you are struggling financially... yeah DON'T do it.

Sell some stuff, babysit someone's kids. Cut your budget, take the class over the internet if it is cheaper- and definitely ask for a cash discount.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:47 AM on May. 27, 2009