What do you feed picky eaters?

My daughter is three and she wants nothing to do with veggies. She only eats fruit when she's in a fruit kind of mood or you mix it into a smoothie/yogurt. She goes absolutely nuts over chicken, pasta and clams (I know, weird right?).

I have no idea what to do for her fruits/veggies. I don't want to keep making smoothies and buying yogurt. She won't drink V8.

I've tried all kinds of different brands, frozen/not frozen, different sauces, peanut butter, ranch, she won't have any of it. I've tried to hide it in her food too but she dissects her food and thoroughly searches it before it goes in her mouth.

All I've come up with so far for veggies is putting tomatoes into her yogurt and telling her that they're cut up cherries, but I don't think this gives her enough veggies.

Ideas?

lucedarvey

Asked by lucedarvey at 9:43 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I hate veggies. My kids hate veggies. So, for all of us, I actually puree veggies and mix into food. You wouldn't believe how many you can put in spaghetti sauce. And pureed carrots can be mixed into mac n' cheese without being noticed. I mean puree, though. Like baby food paste consistency so it can't be picked out.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• They are not going to starv... just let her eat what she wants, I know it can be a pain, but my now 8 yr old was a and still is a picky eater at times and his ped said that if it didn't bother me to allow him to eat what he likes...
    Basically if he wanted only mac and cheese for a week he got it... he was in the yogurt mode for awhile and then that stopped... basically I would put on his plate what we are eating, he HAD to eat some of it... then he got what he like (I usually had it pre-made) and now he eats all that is on his plate...
    Does she like any veggies at all? corn is a kids favorite at times... cooked carrots too.. with butter...LOL... try a few new things on her plate each time, but always have what you know she will eat ready... in time it does get better... LOL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• i guess i let her be 'picky' within reason. like i will give the choice between 2 veggies, and if you don't want it you wait til the next meal/snack. after awhile one of those choices start to look pretty good. she only went to bed hungry once before she realized i was not going to bend. i put food on a plate, you eat it or you don't, that's your choice, but i am not catering to specific wants. she used to be super picky, now there is very little she truly does not like, and she even eats things that neither parent likes (like mushrooms). i know it seems kind of mean, but it has worked great for us.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:38 AM on May. 27, 2009

• If you let her be picky, she will grow into a picky adult. We need 7-8 servings of fruits and veggies, in at least 3 different colors a day.
    Here are a few suggestions: when you make smoothies, include orange juice and kale; kale is loaded with calcium and iron, the vitamin C in the OJ increases the absorption of the iron.
    Kids love to dip: fruit slices in yogurt; veggies in hummus or salad dressing, whole wheat pasta in tomato sauce. Have you tried giving her frozen peas, corn and blueberries?
    Take her to the grocery store with you and let her pick out a new fruit or veggie to introduce to the family. Take her to the library and check out a kids cook book (like Pretend Soup), and Herb the Dragon (he eat vegetables).
    Insist that she have 3 bites of everything on her plate at every meal.
    Good luck,

Answer by rkoloms at 12:01 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Try the veggie juice from Juicy Juice, it is full of veggies but tastes like fruit juice and is 100% juice. Shred carrots, zucchini into spaghetti sauce. Add finely chopped green peppers to meatloaf or meatballs/hamburgers. Make zucchini bread and add a bit of chocolate chips. I would let her eat what she wants, even if it is pb&j for a week. Little kids tend to eat what is familiar to them and don't like a lot of strong tastes. My son went through many stages. He ate every veggie from 3 months to about 3 yrs old, then he ate very few things until he was about 12 yrs old. Now he is starting to get more of an adult taste for foods. She won't starve and she will get the nutrients that she needs from what she is eating.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:33 PM on May. 27, 2009