I have an oversupply problem and think it may be contributing to my son's colic. How long should I pump to express excess foremilk?

suz1212

Asked by suz1212 at 10:14 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you keep expressing foremilk it will only make things worse in the long run. Try block feeding, where you feed him on one breast for several hours/feedings and then switch to the other breast.

Great info on how to get your supply down at Oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• No more than enough to take off the edge of your letdown. What's likely happening is that he's swallowing too much air at the breast.

Please visit kellymom.com and read the article there on forceful letdown. "Colic" is often just that.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Hi! I just wanted to say that I had the same problem with my first baby. It's a little bit hard to judge, because if you pump, you will be actually encouraging more production. I used to just manually express as much as I could, by hand. (I know, weird). Good, luck, I hope, like me, your prodection settles down a bit and you will be more balanced in a few weeks.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:20 PM on May. 26, 2009

• im also haveing an overproduction problem..its actually so bad that when I try to feed her my breast is ROCK HARD so she cant latch...the nurse at the NICU told me to pump before...so its soft enough for the baby to latch..I can fill 3 of the bottles the hospital gave me all together and THEN breastfeed and still have a little more...its really different for averyone...how much extra do you have?
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:58 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have had the oversupply problem and had an overactive letdown where it just comes out so fast that she starts choking on it. I just started letting her feed on one side at a time. If she was still hungry I would never deny switching her but my baby was always weird. She never fed for more than 15mins, usually it was 10mins flat. I could have set a timer according to her eating. But she put on weight and learned how to deal with the letdown.

Im so sad that I am starting to wean now at 6months. We have just now completely gotten it together (she will still only eat for about 10mins) and from starting birthcontrol its drying me up. Oh well, cant have the best of both worlds.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:51 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Let me complicate this all by saying that I'm pumping exclusively. He was born early and wouldn't latch. I went to lactation and that helped, got him on the breast, but was still having problems. We ended up going to a physical therapist and was told he had a tight mouth. I had a bunch of excercises to do each time he fed, then had to struggle to get him to feed, then had to pump after all of it. After doing this for a week and a half I decided just to pump. Sounds crazy but I swear for me it cut my work down.

For the past 24 hours I've been pumping off 3oz and giving him what comes after. AND NO CRYING! I don't want to get too excited, but he has been markedly better since last night when I started draining off the foremilk. Also, looking at the two milks side by side is like looking at skim milk next to whole milk.

What do you girls think? Whatever works, right? Will he miss many nutrients w/ less foremilk?
    suz1212

Answer by suz1212 at 6:59 PM on May. 27, 2009

• (cont'd) I understand I probably have an oversupply because I pump, but feeding from the breast just was not working for us and I gave it a good try with lots of help from lactation. Hugs4akiss - to answer your question, I get about 10oz or so every time I pump, sometimes up to 15oz. I had the same problem as some of you - my letdown is so hard and fast that the little fella got swamped every time we fed from the breast, and that was before all the pumping. So I think I may have had this problem anyway.
    suz1212

Answer by suz1212 at 7:21 PM on May. 27, 2009