My son doesn't sleep....ever.

My son is going to be a year old in 2 weeks. He never slept through the night until he was 9 months old and then it only lasted for about a month. He wakes up every single night, sometimes at 11:30, sometimes 12, 2, 4, 5:30, the times are completely random. I usually let him cry for a bit, but he gets very upset. When I go into comfort him, he is asleep the second I touch him but awake screaming the second I back away towards the door. I've tried giving him a bottle, a binky, holding him for a few minutes, nothing works. He's up and crying the minute I put him down or try to walk away. My DH and I are about at our wits end because we do not know what to do about him and neither of us has had a full nights sleep in over a year. DS never takes naps during the day but sometimes at night when he wakes up, he will babble and talk to us and laugh like he's wide awake! ???????????????

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 10:43 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• idk what to say ware him out is all i can say if that doesnt help id ask his doc to what to do....but when my lil girl gets wore out shes falls asleep easly
    Anonymous

• I feel your pain. Mine stopped napping at about 6 months old and didn't sleep through until she was 2. :(

When I was a student I would wake her up at like 11pm before I went to bed, give her a bottle and play with her a bit then at least I could maximize my uninterupted sleep.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 10:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• have you tried to make him take a nap during the day? mine daughter was the same way if she was overtired she still is, if she goes to bed late shes up at odd hours, i don't understand it and my dh never did either (he kept trying to make her stay awake all day thinking that would help but never did)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• No, if we drive around running errands he'll nap in the car and that doesn't make a difference. I can't seem to find a cause or a trigger that makes him get up! He's so tired he can hardly hold his head up straight but he fights sleep like it's going to kill him.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• How about trying some lullaby music and just keep it on repeat all night maybe the background music will help him think someone is in the room with him. That's the only thing I can think of that never saw you mentioning if you tried or not. The only other thing is try the chiropractor, some say this helps. I've never had to try it but if my DD wasn't sleeping through the night I would at least give it a shot! Hope you can get some good sleep soon!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• =( Tried the lullaby music. 4 Different CD's of soothing music, rainforest sounds, raining, waves, and combinations.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 11:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• my daughter never slept a full night intill she was three. i use to lay awake at night listen to cry. i used the ferber(sp) method. i'd go check on her then i would let her cry for a few minutes and then i check on her again and each time i left her i increased the time away from her. eventually she learned to sooth herself. i used a music box for background music everytime i went back in i turned it on. sometimes it would work for a little while then out of the blue it seemed like we were back at square one. the same routine every night also helps.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Sounds like you have a stubborn one. My 3 month old fights sleep but I dont have a problem getting her down at night. She does not nap at all during the day. I have tried and nothing works. She may take a 20 min cat nap here and there. Good Luck hun. Maybe in 2 weeks when he is one, that will be the magic number.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:14 PM on May. 26, 2009