why is age diffrence so imporant or not important in a relationship? i'm 28 and the man i have a relationship with is 45.we both have a child togeather,i'm very independent,mature,and a all around good person,however sometimes i get the stares what's up with that should'nt it be my choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• Absolutely nothing. So long as you keep your communication open. He can do so much for you, people do not look at it that way. What i mean by that is he can open your eyes to things that normally you would have to had made mistakes with had you not had him to turn to. I am with a younger man who like you is very mature for his age. I do notice that he still hasn't figured some things out that I know about already but we talk about things and if he opts to do them anyhow I let him. Don't worry about what other people think or say. If you both are in love be happy there are far more serious issues to deal with today. You aren't in the relationship for other people and they don't crawl into bed with you both at night or take your trash out. In other words..it is your business and unless they want to pay your mortgage tell them to P*SS off!
    KUDOS 2 U.
    COUGAR PRIDE!!
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 5:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Yes it is your choice. And really it depends on the people if it works well. My Dh is nine years older then me, but I honestly don't think I would be w anyone much older then him (not that I am looking or anything) but sometimes we do have some generation clashes! LOL! My BF's dh is fourteen years older then her and they are fine too.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:13 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I also think it depends on the person but people stare probably bc you two might physically look like polar opposites-meaning he looks older and you look lets say like his daughter-that kind of thing. People look no matter what the couple looks like so thats something youll have to just deal with and learn to ignore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Age difference does matter in some instances bc of where people can be in their lives-it might not match up and therefore instead of growing together a couple just grows seperatly. For example a 20 year old with a 30 year old-doesnt sound so bad-but no matter the gender of the couple-the 20 year old is still figuring things out for themselves, maturing more, becoming more independent while the 30 yr old might know what they want, live on their own, have a career already, wants marriage and kids. Thats why people make a big deal-bc its sometimes like forcing a square peg into a round hole. Imagine if you had a daughter and at 20 came home with a 40 year-how would you feel?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I am 23, my ex is 45. We were together for two years, we have one child together and another on the way. We used to love going places and pretending he was my dad. As I joke, I would always go "hey dad" We thought it was hilarious. We can't act like there isn't a noticable age difference, and neither should you. It is different, and unusual. Doesn't make it bad. I think anytime people start looking at you, do something like we did. When we went to see Pirates of the Carribean, right before it started, the entire theater was silent, and he said, "wow, you taste better than mom" It was our little joke, and you two should have a little fun with it, embrace it. The last person however, got it a little wrong, it's not always like that. I was more settled, mature, and knew what I want than he did or does. Just had to add that, because its something people shouldn't always assume! Mine didn't work out (right now) but I hope yours does! Hope it helps and good luck!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 10:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2008