Need help with homemade popsicles

I got a popsicle mold where you pour in your juice or koolaid or whatever and then place the "sticks" in and put it in your freezer. The problem is, after the juice froze up and I tried to pull them out, the "stick" came out but the juice stayed frozen solid IN the mold. I tried running warm water over the outside of the mold to loosen them up...no good. I thought about spraying a cooking oil (think Pam) in the mold before adding the juice but have no idea if that would even work. (Of course, I'd have to wipe off the oil before serving them.) Any pointers or ideas? My kids were REALLY disappointed. They wanted mama-made popsicles!

MamaJen74

Asked by MamaJen74 at 10:53 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Were they in the freezer long enough? Popsicles can also get nutrients into your kids:
    Berries, cherries, grapes, mangos, pineapples, melons, plums, and peaches are all excellent choices for whole fruit popsicles. For sweetener, use stevia, agave nectar, honey, xylitol, vegetable glycerin or powdered evaporated cane juice to taste, or a Simple Syrup.
    Fresh summer fruits, either single fruits or a combination (or thawed frozen fruits)
    Sweetener to taste
    Fill your popsicle molds with fruits to measure, then pour the fruits into a blender. Blend until pureed. Pour the fruit puree into the popsicle molds and freeze until firm--about 4 hours. If adding wooden sticks to paper cups, let the popsicles freeze until they are firm enough to hold the sticks, about an hour, then insert sticks and continue freezing. To serve, remove popsicles by dipping the mold in warm water for a few seconds.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:10 PM on May. 27, 2009

• maybe putting wax paper into the mold before pouring in the juice?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:56 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Usually that means you wiggled them while they were freezing. Just thaw them out, stick the stick in again and freeze.
    For juice pops I make juice with half the water (concentrate) then freeze. You can do that with Koolaid, use half the water and some extra sugar. I add a pinch of salt to the koolaid when it is used to replace electrolytes. (Not too much!)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:56 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Also, forgot to add...when you use splenda you need to freeze longer.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Oh no! I need this same advice! The same thing happened to me this week! I was hoping someone would answer. The sticks in mine aren't even quite halfway. I'm thinking maybe it would work if the stick went all the way to the bottom? It was weird because one of like 9 worked, and I don't know why because I didn't do anything differently.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2009