Can I see your birth plans? I know what I want. I'm just not sure how to write it.

These are my birth preferences as long as emergency doesn't arrise. I have them in bullets right now but I've looked at several formats and I'm not sure which to use.

*I would like to labor at home as long as possible & come to the hospital only when I feel I am progressed enough & will begin the pushing stage of labor soon.
•My husband & doula will be present through out labor and birth.
•Freedom to walk, move, change positions as desired through out labor & birth
•Freedom to eat & drink through out labor
•Use of the shower as desired
*Ability to use relaxation & natural pain relief methods learned in Hypnobabies.
•Mother directed pushing. PLEASE DO NOT COACH ME during pushing.
•Use of an upright birth position. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME to push in the supine position (on my back).
•I will accept a Hep Lock but wish to avoid an IV unless the medical need for one arises.

Continued bel

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• •No artificial breaking of my water.
    •Immediate contact with my newborn, breastfeeding encouraged and all newborn procedures delayed until after breastfeeding has been established and our family has had time to bond.
    •Delayed clamping and cutting of the cord until the cord stops pulsating.
    •Placenta delivered with out the use of Pitocin or other drugs to speed it’s delivery.
    •All baby exams done in the presence of parents
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you have all of your demands set in stone. I don't think you need any help. I'm glad I'm not your delivery nurse!
    Anonymous

• I never had a birth plan I decided to just do it however neccesary...they HAD to break my water...and im a wimp so I need an epidural I tried to go without one...but In the end I "needed" it. Regardless I think you can just write it like that...looks pretty solid to me...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I had a very similar birth plan, though I had my daughter in the hospital. The only thing I would recommend is, despite the fact that I know you want to hold your child first that you allow them to assess her APGAR at 1 and 5 minutes. It's just important.

Also you may wish to detail what you want in the event of an emergancy and you having to divert from your birth plan. Like for example I was very clear what drugs I would take if they became nessesary, I was also very clear I didn't want to be sedated under any circomstances and also that should I be unable to make any choices in regards to the labour and my baby, that my mother was to do so (which became actually nessesary as my blood pressure was so high after the delivery that I was a bit dilerious).
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 11:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• is there a reason you want them to wait to cut the cord?
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes. It's healthier and allows the baby to get all of the Iron stores inside the cord as well as the stem cells. It also reduces the risk for the mother bleeding out.

I appreciate all the answers but can I ask why someone said they would want to be my L&D nurse? I realize this is not the norm is the hospital but it I think it should be. I want a natural delivery, free from dangerous medical interventions that I had last time.

No judgement for what anyone else chooses but these are the decisions we've made for our birth.

Also they can do the APGAR while I'm holding the baby. I've already talked to them about that.
    Anonymous

• I meant "not' want to be
    Anonymous

• i think your birth plan is great! im going the same way as you actually next time.its sounds like you have everything figured out! good luck!
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 11:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Good to know OP. I applaud you for having as drug free a birth as possible.
    Beyond clarifying contingencies it looks like you've covered everything. I did mine in point form like that. I also gave a copy to both my labour coaches and my doctor ahead of time and made sure they had no questions.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 11:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• After reading your birth plan I'm actually thinking of making my own as well. I have a question though, do you show your doctor it before so they have a heads up or just bring it after you're in labor?

I guess it would make more sense to do it before so they'd know that you're gunna stay at home until you feel you've progressed enough to go to the hospital.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:19 PM on May. 26, 2009