Would you suspect sexual abuse?

To make a long story short, my 4 year old step son is living with us because his mom couldnt handle him and he was having emotional problems like telling his teachers he wanted to kill himself. and odd behavior with his stools.We had a psych eval done and he was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder with a high risk of suicide. The psychiatrist said there were red flags of sexual abuse like when she asked him if anyone has ever hurt him he said he wasnt allowed to tell and his mommy told him not too. We are trying to get custody presently.
Anywho tonight I wanted to take his temp because I'm paranoid about swine flu and I joked and said I was going to take it rectally and he said no mommy I laughed and said why and he said it hurts to put things in my butt. That really freaked me out because I don't believe it hurts to get that done and when I tried to get details he went quiet.
What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would call and talk to the psychiatrist in the morning and let him or her know about it. I am sure with all his issues he will be seeing somone on a regular basis. Just from rembering all the kids I saw while I was in foster care, don't push to much for information. Sometimes pushing can eithe rmake them regress and make it much harder for them to open up, or cause them to make up stories. Talk to his councelor or phyciatrist. It would probably be best if you, dh and ss started going to family counceling so that you and your dh can be supported and directed on how to cope and handle his transition into your home, and all the healing that will need to take place. This will be a difficult and bumpy road ahead of you, right now he needs to feel safe, secure and loved. Pushing for information before he is ready will make him feel vunrable, and angry.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:54 PM on May. 26, 2009

• yes i would take him back to the therapist .....2mrow!
    Anonymous

• That seems like a major red flag to me. Unless he has had his temp taken that way before and knew it was going to hurt. But with him saying i cant tell and things like that....thats scary. Awe, poor lil guy. breaks my heart to think about it. i have a 4 year old too
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:22 PM on May. 26, 2009

• why would you be taking a four year olds temp rectally?
    Anonymous

• i woud suspect it and you should keep a close eye on him
    Anonymous

• Yes, that sounds a little strange. I think that most kids would not even have an IDEA of what it would feel like if things were put in their butt. To be honest that is something in which they shouldn't even know can happen. It sounds kind of weird that you would be playing with him about it too.
    Anonymous

• I wasnt taking it rectally. I was joking with him! I took it auxillary
    Anonymous

• Why would you joke with him about it? That sounds weird. I can not imagine teasing a little 3 or 4 year old like that.
    Anonymous

• I was playing with him about taking his temp rectally o jeez. If I had any idea he might have had anything placed in him rectally I wouldnt have joked about it!
    Anonymous

• But all that is besides the point I just need to know whether I should be concerned or if maybe he remembers ever having his temp taken rectally at the pediatrician or something
    Anonymous