What good quality baby monitor and breast pump do you recommend?

what is best about these brands/products? what features should I look for when I purchase them? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• For the breast pump....it really depends on your needs. Full time working mom? Don't go cheap. Medela Pump in Style or Ameda Purely Yours are tops. Lansinoh gets some good reviews too. Just need the occasional bottle? An Avent Isis will fill the bill nicely. These pumps WORK.

No Gerber, Evenflo, First Years. SOME moms have success with them, but the overall track record is poor.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:29 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have the imonitor vibe baby monitor and LOVE IT! I think graco makes it. I had a fisher price lights and sound monitor and it was horrible. My vibe one is terrific. No static, I can hear every little peep she makes and the monitor sits on the other side of her room. As far as the pump. I rented one from the hospital. It worked great but I dried up and my daughter had no interest in nursing.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE my Medela Pump In Style. It is worth every single penny.

BUT it depends on what you are going to need a breast pump for.

Are you just planning to pump for a night out every once in a while, just for cereal when he gets older or to keep a stock in the freezer for emergencies?

Then you probably only need a hand pump or you could hand express which for some women is more affective.

Are you planning to return to work or school? Are you planning to donate milk? Will you be away from you baby often?

Then you need an electric pump. A double electric pump is best. You really need a good quality one. Ameda and Medela usually have the most options as far as flanges and type are concerned as well as the best suction. They also have the best reviews. Look at the mom reviews of moms who've bought the product before purchasing or renting.

We are buying the MOBICAM monitor.
    Anonymous

• I got great use out of my Ameda Purely Yours pump- I worked full time for a while, then went to school full time with my first daughter, my second daughter refused to breast feed, I exclusively pumped for 6 1/2 months with the same pump and it still works- best 200$ I ever spent- their bottles still have BPA in them I think- may want to find out first.
    I initially bought a 50$ evenflo pump- still sitting in a box after two tries with it-AWFUL pump!
    me1982

Answer by me1982 at 11:33 PM on May. 26, 2009