Now that I've read a previous question I'm VERY

interested in birth plans. I felt so uninformed with my first birth and was scared into a c-section because I was still at 1cm after being at the hospital for four hours after my water broke. They told me that my child could have brain damage due to the marconium (sp) but his heart rate was fine, and so was he once he was here.

My question is, what is your birth plan? What do I need to know and look up that's important for my baby? What can I put in my birth plan to go along with my VBAC?

ours

Asked by ours at 11:29 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to look up information on:

Drugs-You need to know the bennefits and risk to each. You especially need to know that they should NEVER give you Pitocin or Cytotec because of your previous c-section.

You reallly should just look up the benefits and risk of:
    -breaking the water artificially
    -monitoring
    -vaginal checks
    -Not eating and drinking during labor
    -IV's
    -Drugs that speed of the placenta's delivery
    -Delivering the placenta to quickly
    -Newborn procedures
    Anonymous

• well the birth plans ive seen basically state the parents' wishes on what should happen, what should NOT happen etc.. note any kinds of medications and whether you want them OFFERED or not, ive heard horror stories of pitocin so I'm discussing it with my midwife and most likely going to PROHIBIT it in my birth plan. I'm also thinking about who I'd like to catch the baby and announce the sex, and I'm def requesting breasfeeding ASAP and to have the baby by me at all times when possible during tests.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 12:11 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I had a birth plan with my daughter, and let me tell you, it is a great tool to have, but you may not stick to everything. Honestly, I dont think I stuck to most of it, because until you are actually IN LABOR (which I had never been before) you can't be 100% on what to expect. Do some research, talk with your doctor, and make the decisions that are best for you and baby, not for the people around you. Good luck!
    AbbeysMommy1985

Answer by AbbeysMommy1985 at 3:33 PM on May. 27, 2009