How can anyone think she would make a good Supreme Court Judge?

I don't know about you but I don't think judges should apologize to criminals for sending them to jail! But that is just exactly what Sotomayor does.

“[W]e all understand that you were in part a victim of the economic necessities of our society; unfortunately there are laws that I must impose.” This is something she said to a drug dealer she was sentencing!

She told another convicted drug trafficker: “It is no comfort to you for me to say that I am deeply, personally sorry about the sentence that I must impose, because the law requires me to do so. The only statement I can make is this is one more example of an abomination being committed before our sight. You do not deserve this, sir.”

What the hell is wrong with people if they think this attitude would make a good Supreme Court Judge?

Julia0331

Asked by Julia0331 at 11:30 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Perhaps she is in favor of the decriminalization of drugs, and feels that it is more of a social problem than a legal one. There are many who would agree. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but does she only do this for drug related sentences, or violent ones as well?
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:32 PM on May. 26, 2009

• It makes you wonder how bad the skeletons were in the closets of the other 5 possibles
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• No one makes someone sell drugs! Dealing drugs is a legal issue. I don't care how hard your life is when you choose to sell illegal drugs you are making a choice to BREAK THE LAW!!!! Drug dealers do not need sympathy!
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 11:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Why does everything with this administration have to be so controversial? Why can't they choose just one person we don't have to be suspicious of? And as far as her apologizing to criminals, that is absurd and I completely agree with you OP, WTH??? Sounds to me like her "decision capabilities" must be seriously impaired...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:54 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree. If she has a compulsion to apologize for doing her job, then perhaps she is in the wrong line of work. Maybe she would be better as a public defender.

Anonymous

• What are the circumstances of each case? There is no way to know unless you were there. From what I've heard, she will probably be confirmed, and has a lot of bi-partisan support. I think she is well educated, a supporter of the Constitution, and on the moderate side. She was a prosecutor, you know, prosecutors are not known for being supporters of criminals. My prediction: people will misquote her, take things she says out of context and blow them out of proportion, and if anyone mentions that they are glad to see an Hispanic woman being up for the job, some people will immediately say that's the only reason she was appointed and ignore her qualifications and experience.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Is it because she is the first latin judge to become a supreme court judge.I am sure that is why.I think she is well educated.Alot of people like her.So stop being so racist.It is not like you went to princeton and graduated like she did.I am glad to see my own race up there for that job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 27, 2009

• She probably has an issue with mandatory sentencing for drug crimes, a lot of people do. Perhaps they were non-violent criminals and they were facing unfair sentences.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 1:20 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Is it because she is the first latin judge to become a supreme court judge

She is not a supreme court judge. She has been nominated for the job, and if she's lucky nobody will hold her previous performance against her and allow her to have the job in spite of it. But it's nice to know the crowd that has no defense for anything and accuses all who disagree with their uninformed opinions of racism are equal opportunity slanderers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:33 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree with that statement, so I don't view her as unqualified. Why should we be spending money to keep a drug dealer in prison when we allow pharmaceutical companies to sell drugs that kill more people then illegal drugs?
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 1:54 AM on May. 27, 2009