High fruitose corn syrup

Why is it so bad? I try to make sure there isn't any in my son's food but its in everything. Even the chewy vitamins and those are the only ones he will take. Is it o.k. to have just a a little? is it not as bad as they say? Any advice on this would be helpful!!

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 11:33 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• It does seem to be in a lot of food items. Some is fine. The issue is it's processed sugar and could lead to ADD and other health related problems. If you read the labels, companies are removing it. Look at juices, breads, cereals and you'll learn which has what ingredients. It becomes easier over time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• It's fine in moderation, just like everything else you eat.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:37 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Fructose. High Fructose Corn Syrup.
    Anonymous

• From what I've read, HFCS is very bad for us. They are finding that it contains mercury. Scary! HFCS is in tons of processed foods, so I tend to stay away from all processed foods. I'd really rather not poison myself, my DH or my children.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/fresh-greens/2009/01/28/mercury-found-in-high-fructose-corn-syrup.html
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• From what I understand, it is the mercury found in it. The products with it as the first or second ingredient (even some things you wouldn't expect like some ketchup, and pancake syrups) are best avoided.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:02 AM on May. 27, 2009

• its always been in just about everything and just like everything else you eat it is fine as long as you dont over do it , here is a good link tha thas a lot of explaining on it

http://sweetsurprise.com/

hope it helps simple smile

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:04 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Mrs. Owen, are you kidding me? that is an AD CAMPAIGN from the HFCS industry, they are hardly going to be honest with you. and unless you eat mostly unprocessed foods, you're NOT eating it in moderation.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:58 AM on May. 27, 2009

• The biggest problem with HFCS is that the brain does not recognize it as an energy source, so when you eat it, you tend to over eat because your brain never gets the trigger to signal fullness & will keep telling you it needs food. Also, b/c HFCS is sooo sweet, eating it can desensitize the tastebuds, making healthy sweets like fruits less appetizing because they won't taste as good to you.

Avoiding HFCS isn't as difficult as it once was, but you're going to feel it in the pocketbook if you purchase a lot of processed foods like crackers, cookies, cereals & breads, even lunchmeats. However, if you focus on using whole grains, fruits, vegetables and fresh meats to fill out your meals & snacks, these things are cheaper & will leave you a little extra to buy HFCS-free cookies, crackers, sodas, etc.

It's okay to have a bit as a treat once in a great while (ex. store-bought bday cake), but I wouldn't indulge more than that.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:52 AM on May. 27, 2009

• It is a source of sugar made from CORN. It is ok in moderation, just like anything else you eat. No found should be eaten to excess, even healthy foods.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• sarapurser, MrsOwen86 & tyfry7496....Ummm, did you folks know that, although HFCS is made from corn, it is chemically altered through an enzymatic process to yield a different balance of monosaccharides than that found in ordinary corn syrup? AND, depending on which chemical alteration of HFCS a manufacturer uses (ranges from 42-90% fructose), you could be unwittingly consuming hundreds more calories without changing your portion size? AND, unlike glucose, fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion or enhance leptin production, both of which act as key afferent signals in the regulation of food intake and body weight; therefore, if you are not receiving those signals, you over-compensate by eating more sugars? AND Because you can't know which formulation is being used or even if the same formulation is being used every time, there is absolutely no way for the consumer to use HFCS in moderation? So did you?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:10 PM on May. 27, 2009