LABOR??

DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CATHETER, OR JUST FOR A C-SECTION?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a c-section and had a catheter. My best friend just did a vaginal birth with and epidural and had a catheter till she started pushing.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:39 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I don't know if you HAVE to, but I had one with both vaginal births. I think it's just common procedure.
    Anonymous

• I didn't have one and I had a vaginal delivery
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 11:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Holy crap...the thought of a catheter scares the pee right out of me. I've never had a c-section or catheter. A friend of mine just had an epidural and they placed a catheter...she had a vaginal delivery. You should check your health care provider's protocol (and possibly the hospital if that is where you plan on delivering).
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:49 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I've had 3 Vaginal births and never once had a catheter... normally they will allow you to pee before giving birth... I've actually never known anyone who had one with just a normal VB.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 1:20 AM on May. 27, 2009

• All natural, no pain meds, intervention free hospital birth here with no catheter. I beleive if you have an epidural they require it, but not sure about that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:03 AM on May. 27, 2009

• most places if u have a epidural they will insert a catheter same with c sections but if u go natural then there is no need unless u are retaing urine then they will stright cath u to drain the urine and then immediatly remove the cath that way ur bladder is not distended and causing issues with labor and delivery or post delivery where ur uterus can start returning to it natural size with out issues
    Anonymous

• if u have an epidural for regular VB then yes they cah you because your parts don't work..........but they take it out when it's time to push..........if you dont have a epidural then u dont need one because you canwalk and know when u have to use the toilet
    JeanieJazzysmom

Answer by JeanieJazzysmom at 3:31 AM on May. 28, 2009