This just totally shocks me and makes my heart break...

What do you think about this?

My cousin had her first baby yesterday at 3:23 pm. He was born at 37 weeks 2 days. He weighed 5 lbs 4 oz and was 18.5 inches long. I went up to the hospital to see her and the baby yesterday evening and was told we had to go see the baby in the nursery and could only see him for a few minutes because he was on oxygen due to excess mucus in his lungs, he couldnt keep his oxygen up at a safe level. He looked so tiny and helpless I had to leave because I started crying.

Well today I went up to the hospital around 5:30 to see them only to be told that the DR's had discharged her AND the baby at 11 this morning! I was totally taken back because they sent him home when he wasnt even 24 hours old, was born almost 3 weeks early and had a breathing problem. So I went to her house to see them and check up and make sure she was ok.

I will continue this below in the answer area....

Vsoul0608

Asked by Vsoul0608 at 11:39 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I finally got to hold the baby and he was lifeless. He just laid there and didnt move. He wasn't responding to any of the newborn reflexes or anything. I told her something was wrong with him and she needed to take him to the hospital, she started crying because she had told the DR's she didnt want him to be sent home yet but they said they needed the room in the nursery. She said he was eating and breathing ok so she was going to wait until he went to the DR in the morning to see what they say.

About an hour ago I got a call from her mom saying that they has to rush the baby to hospital because my cousin went to the bathroom to get ready for bed and when she came back the baby was blue.. Now they are sending him to Children's Hospital to the NICU. My cousin and her Mom are mad, as am I. We dont think the DR's should have sent him home so soon.

What do you think? What would you do if this happened to you?
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 11:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• that is horrible i hope everyything turns out ok
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would have taken him to the ER before I left the hospital. Somebody screwed up at the hospital, but she also shouldn't have taken the wait and see approach with a non responsive newborn.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• well, if anything happens to the lil one, I would sue that hospital...wouldnt it be classified as neglect on their part? That baby was not given enough medical attention..
    I would be bitching at the admin and the stupid docs who wanted the discharge just cuz they wanted the room..thats ridiculous!
    good luck with this, and hugs to the momma and baby
    babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 11:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Lawsiut. Yep Sue those SOBs
    Anonymous

• MY HEAD IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE!!

Those doctors need someone with some real backbone in there telling them this child is to be kept in the hospital until COMPLETELY out of danger.

Needing the room...what kind of excuse is that? That child wasn't READY to be sent home.

My own son was born three weeks early, but weighed a bit over six pounds. I had him by C-section, and the hospital kept us for two days because of it. I wonder if your cousin had had her child by C-section if the hospital would have kicked her out then??

This is so disgusting of the hospital. If for some reason, God forbid, this child doesn't make it, I hope your cousin get a KILLER lawyer.

I'll pray for her and baby...
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I hope he'll be okay. I would feel angry for being shunted off like that, but mostly worried sick. God bless that little baby.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:54 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would be raising some hell. There is no way he should have been sent home within even close to 24 hours of having breathing troubles. I would have stood there screaming at the Dr.s if they wanted to discharge my baby after being that sick. I would be taking names too. I would talk to the board at the hospital or sueing. I hope the baby is ok.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Isn't that malpractice? This kind of stuff happens EVERY DAY. It's disgusting. My mom had her tubes tied when my youngest sister(now 1 7) was born. She was in ALOT of pain, so the nurses were mainly taking care of my newborn sister(6 weeks premature, btw) for the first 36 hours of her life. They weren't feeding her with a nipple for a premie, and she wasn't eating. The formula was just dripping down out of her mouth. She was home for about an hour when she started turning blue, my mom took her to the ER right away. They said if she would have waited an hour longer, she would have died. She was diagnosed with Metabolic Acidoses(sp) and her organs shut down one by one. She was hooked up to an IV for a week, and the only vein strong enough was in her scalp. When she was four, she was diagnosed with a developmental disease called Hypomalinosis of Ito, which is said to be caused by acidoses. So, yes, the hospital can get in trouble
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:10 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Such wonderful healthcare we have in this country! Makes me sick … the baby is in my prayers.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:47 AM on May. 27, 2009