• In the Spotlight:

Rich or Poor?

In your opinion, what makes a person rich or poor? Is it luck of birth, intense personal drive, or something else?

timelessglass

Asked by timelessglass at 11:45 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• My father in law is extremely wealthy he made 40 million last year. We live on 120k a year a few years ago we were living on 40k. He never just gave his kids money. He paid for college and bought his sons their first car. The rest was on them. People think it is so odd we live as we do when my fil has hundreds of millions in the bank. He wants his kids to earn their way so they are not spoiled and know the value of money and don't blow all of his hard work. My husband will get his trust from his grandfather next year it has a lot of money in it. We could have gotten to it sooner but my husband promised to make his own way and wait until 40 to use the money. We are going to pay our home off and buy new cars. We have no plans of living the high life. We really like our life the way it is. My fil live in a 2200 sq ft house he drives a truck and shops at Target and Dillards on occasion. You would not know he was rich.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on May. 27, 2009

• That's interesting....I think a rich person with a poor spirit is truly a tragedy.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 11:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I believe you are rich in life if you have food to eat, people that love you, a job that inspires you, fresh air to breathe, at least one pet, health and someone to confide in.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think most of the time nowadays- it's being born into it. But of course there are entrepreneurs who make their own. Athletes and celebrities are usually rich too!
    As for poor, I think one is born into it most times. There are also situations where it is by choice (some people actually want to be homeless drifters). And some people make bad choices with their lives like drug abuse and then can't work to get themselves out of their situation.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I believe it has a lot to do with attitude and willingness to succeed and a little luck. If we are talking about cash rich!

Cash poor, Can be a variety of reasons, such as lazy, bad luck or maybe the person doesn't really care about money. Maybe they focus on other things rather than material.
    Anonymous

• But of course, if we are talking spiritual riches- it's what you make of what you have. We're not "rich" really, on 80 k a year, but I feel very rich indeed.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• According to the Millionaire next door, something like 80% of the Millionaires in the US did not inherit their wealth. I think the book even said that people that inherit a great deal of wealth spend it all with in a matter of years. I'm just thinking that hard work, determination, and good money happens will determine whether or not you are financially successful in life- more than anything else.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:41 AM on May. 27, 2009

• It all depends on your definitions.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I believe it is a mindset. If you can't ever see yourself in a different situation you will remain right where you are.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 7:54 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I too, think its your mindset. There's a saying that goes "you should dress for the job you WANT, not the job you HAVE." Applying that logic to everything you WANT in life, will bode well for you than wallowing in the things you don;t have.

And remember, money only makes you more of what you already are--we see that frequently with "cash windfall" type recipients--be it winning the lottery, an inheritance, becoming an overnight celebrity sensation, picking a great stock, etc. Those who suddenly realize riches, often continue to be the same people they have always been--just with more money!

I have met incredibly generous people who have very little, and incredibly stingy people that have many material things and money to boot.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:49 AM on May. 27, 2009