Why do people get so obsessed with TV shows and characters?

I do not understand how a tv show or movie could consume people. People get crazy over actors. Can anyone explain this to me?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 11:59 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• This question is soooo beyond my rational thinking. I've never understood this or why others read people magazine and why they are so obsessed with celebrities life? I don't know if I'll ever understand any of this nonsense. JMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on May. 27, 2009

• nothing better to do in life? need some excitement?
    Anonymous

• I think we're a TV/Entertainment/Techno world now. People blur the lines of reality about those people. My husband is on TV. It's just a damn job but people mob him wherever we go. It's like they don't get that's it a job but published for all to see. I don't know. That said, I do have a few favorite shows but I realize they are underpaid actors probably bitching for better contracts!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:15 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't know, but pretty picture!
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:21 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't obsess over actors but I do get into the plot and characters of my favorite shows. It's just an escape. Reality is so tedious and never ending. It's fun to escape into a fantasy world. I write fanfiction for my favorite shows. It's fun and a good release for my creative side (there's less work writing stories for already established characters then trying to invent a whole world yourself).
    The actual actors...don't care so much about and I HATE reality TV. I think it's the dumbest thing ever invented. I don't want to know what real people are doing, just the made up characters.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:31 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I like TV shows and movies but I don't obsess. I look forward to see results on reality shows but the Twilight hype hitting adults trips me out a little. Then again I have never been a big vampire fan.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:35 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Hmmmm. Good question. I know I suffer the problem from time to time. Note my avatar: the TARDIS from "Doctor Who." That show has been an obsession of mine for a while now. For a while, the fannishness did take me out of "real life" which was dealing me a pretty bad hand at the time I rediscovered the show. I got into writing fanfic and actually made some very good friends from it. I even managed to travel to England...all growing from the love if a TV show!

Kinda weird when you think about it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Life sucks. TV doesn't.
    anonyyy

Answer by anonyyy at 1:10 AM on May. 27, 2009