What does everyone who works at home do about daycare?

Hi everyone! I currently work from home. My son is an only child so I send him to daycare for 2 hours each day so that he can be around other kids (he LOVES it) and then I can work for another 2 hours (on the average) when he takes a nap and then I do the rest of my work at night after he goes to bed.
Just wondering if any of you work-at-homers with toddlers can actually get any work done while you are at home with your kids. I wouldn't be able to do (or want to do) any work at all with my son around.

Thanks for your comments!

LauraShapiro

Asked by LauraShapiro at 12:02 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have twins and a daughter who is just 15 months older. I started when I was pregnant with the twins. I alternated quality time like playing together really hard for an hour or 2, then work, then play, then work. I used a schedule and it worked..it was challenging sometimes but if your reason to work at home is strong enough, you will make it work...I also involved my kids in my work..and my business is so family focused so having my kids right there was ok..most of those I worked with had their kids right there too.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:14 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I make a special time for everything. Some days my 16month old is clingy and wont let me get much work done and on those days I wait till his daddy gets home to work. For the most part...we wake up and have breakfast together..he helps me clean the house which is a game to him them I put a movie on for him in his play room, he watches it will he plays and then naps shortly after during that two three hours I work. After he wakes up we share lunch then go for a walk. When we get back he is ready for another "resting" time so I get him a snack and take him to the playroom...if he ever needs anything he comes and gets me. Just take frequent breaks in between work to let your toddler know they are still important...I find that if I work two hours and take a brake every ten minutes he is happier and I acutally get more done with less stress. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:21 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I work when my toddler is sleeping. I start my kids in preschool at age 3 which gives me a few hours a few days a week all with at least LESS children around LMAO.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:45 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't wan't to put my children in daycare,I want to raise them myself.I work my business when they take their nap for about 2 hours.The when my husband comes home,he helps with them so I can work my business a few hours in the evening.
    Tia23sb

Answer by Tia23sb at 7:43 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My kids are 2 and 3... I work all day with them here. I get lots of work done! I get up earlier than they do (usually), they get up and watch PBS for a while while I work, then they color, then they play. I usually take them outside for a while and let them run while I do some training (reading). Then we have lunch and they nap so I can make my phone calls w/o noise. When my hubby gets home I make dinner and he watches the kids while I work some more. All in all I put in an 8-10 hour day, every day, working 3 seperate businesses and building training sites and my own co-op site... It's hectic and my house is always a wreck but it's worth it because at this rate I will be able to retire my DH soon... Retirement at 30 is always great!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:53 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Hi everyone, thanks so much for your feedback. I really appreciate all of it - very helpful. I guess I should have specified that I'm a single mom with no help (timewise or moneywise) from my son's dad. Also my son is an only child and has no one but me to entertain him and I chose to send him to a small (6 kids) family run daycare rather than put him in front of a video or the TV for a couple of hours - I just felt it was better for him to be around other kids, etc.

I really feel for the moms who have no choice but to go back to work (outside of the home) when their children are 6 weeks old - I was lucky enough to have paid maternity until my son was 15 months old so I didn't go back to work until then and I'm so grateful that I had that time. But I have no choice but to work at least 8 hours a day even if it's from home!

Thank you all again - heading off to check your profiles!

LauraShapiro

Answer by LauraShapiro at 10:17 AM on May. 27, 2009

• shruggingPart of working at home is so you don't have to put your kids in daycare. Otherwise, why bother?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Just to respond to the anonymous answer - I made a choice between allowing my son to have 2 hours of interaction with other kids or staying at home in front of a video or tv or watching me work! I feel that the 2 hours a day of interaction with other kids was the right decision.
    LauraShapiro

Answer by LauraShapiro at 11:49 AM on May. 27, 2009