My b/f and i might be gettin his niece that is 14 yrs old i was wondering if i should add a line on my cell phone contract or if i should just get her a pre paid plan? she will be with us for 60 days but she does need a phone so that way we can contact her since she is at that age help what should i do?

anz2008

Asked by anz2008 at 12:14 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If you absolutely have to do it, get her a prepaid and let her know she has to be careful with the minutes. I am still wondering why kids/teens need a cell phone. It has become too much of a "non-necessity" You got to  figure if they are at school , there are phones available, there are still pay phones and everyone else has a cell phone that they will lend her. If she is only going to be with you 60 days then why waste your money when other phones are available.

Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:19 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Since she is only going to be with your for 60 days I would suggest the pre paid. If you add a line to yours there will be a contract for it.
    And Gigi, my son has a cell phone so I can get in touch with him at any point in time. :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:25 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree..prepaid. I would get the same servive you have so it should be free to talk. Like At&t prepaid is free to talk to any At&t, etc. That way if she uses it to talk to her friends or people other than y'all she won't have minutes. Tell her it is for contact between the 3 of you and unless she wants to pay for the extra minutes then follow your rules. Or something along those lines. Lol JMO about all that(I would say differently if it wasn't a short-term thing)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Hi there,I am a Telecom Consultant. You say your b/f 's niece will only be with you guys for 60 days.Assuming she's gonna stay for the summer. However, you want her to have a phone so you can keep in touch,when she returns home. Am I correct on this?

As a teen she would benefit from the phone in more than one ways.I am not sure about that first response up there but pay phones aren't everywhere and you'd need money to calling card. Not exactly good ideas! For a teen she is old enough to have a phone,the teen lifestyle demands it! My biggest reason for being mobile is safety.I am sure you would want her to be safe and sure you don't want her to have to ask someone can she use there phone. Another plus for having a cell phone is they can take pictures and video. Teens are very social creatures they absolutely want this feature in a phone.

loriec

Answer by loriec at 12:54 AM on May. 27, 2009

• You can add her to your existing plan, if it is a good plan? just consider how many minutes and remember she's a teen so not only would she want the features above but she may prefer texting. The alternative would be prepaid I have a few nice ones a teen would love,of course prepaid can be limited. Either choice personally I think your so thoughtful.

Your welcome to P.M me or email sasgoodiecommunications@gmail.com Or /and your welcome to use my cellphone finder  to educate yourself more on phones and plans. I have a few vendors each may offer a different deal,I am not sure of what carrier you have. Good luck!  

loriec

Answer by loriec at 1:01 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Kids that age text a lot. If you get her a prepaid phone you will be adding minutes every day. Just add a line to your phone with unlimited texting. It will be easier and a lot less expensive.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:24 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I have a teen daughter (17), I got her a phone thru Metro PCS .... unlimited minutes and texting for less than $50. a month ... no pictures, no internet access so there's no sexting (sending/recieving inapproriate pictures) We've had no problems with this arrangement. She does extra stuff all month around the house to pay for the phone, so it's a priviledge for her to have a phone, not a necessity.
    Angltrls

Answer by Angltrls at 7:09 AM on May. 27, 2009

• If it were permanent, I would say, add yourself a line on your contract, its much cheaper. If only for a few months, then prepaid is fine, but remember, not all of them get great service. Those trac phones are crap unless you live in a metropolitan area. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:13 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Pre-paid. You do not want a 14 yr old wreaking havoc on your cell phone bill!
    mspooh404

Answer by mspooh404 at 8:26 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I would not get her a phone, and I would see to it that she would not need a phone. At 14, you should not be allowing her to go places without you. She is too young and she does not have the tools to deal with that kind of freedom. She's only going to be with you for a couple of months. Just make plans to do things that she will think are fun, but please don't just turn her loose to find her own fun. She is not ready for that kind of responsibility. If you are going to have to work and leave her unattended, it would be best that you not let her come.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:38 AM on May. 27, 2009