who wears their seatbelt..please read

we buried a friend of ours today she was only 35 with four kids with youngest being 4 years old...she was killed when her daughters fiance and her (mom) were driving and he had blow out ..they hit a car head on and they both were'nt wearing seatbelts maybe they would have survived or maybe not we'll never know.....what broke my heart is seeing the 4 year old girl just looking around I don't think she knew what was going on....the oldest daughter is expecting and she lost her mom and her fiance it was a sad moment...please wear seatbelts I often go without one which is stupid I know, but I think why wear one when the school is few blocks away but after today I would not want to orphan my children....what can I do to help these kids especially the 4 year old .....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just support her hun....my heart goes out to you and the children and the expecting mama! Thats difficult! Prey, support them and just be there. The four year old will never understand until she is older. Mommy just had to go to heaven.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:32 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh. My. God. This is horrible news. I am so sorry. I wear mine every single time but I've had a few car accidents. All you can do is be a presence for the family. Whatever you do, don't retreat and leave them alone. Grieving people still need to hear from people. I'm really sorry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:34 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My vehicle does not move until everyone, and I mean everyone is buckled up. It's the law here, but it's also my law in my vehicle. I don't care if I've got the Pope, the President, and Brad Pitt in there, they will buckle up if they want to ride in my van. It takes two seconds to do it, it sets a great example for the kids, and can save your life. I'm sorry that you've lost someone close to you, I don't know what to tell you about helping out the kids. Maybe just be there with stories of their mom to help keep her alive in their memories and hearts.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:34 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I always wear a seatbelt. When I was 19 a kid I was dating was in a car accident and died, no seatbelt. They said if he was wearing one, he wouldn't have lived. I saw what his mother went through at the funeral, and I didn't want to ever put my parents through that.

And, almost 5 years ago I was involved in a hit-and-run. (I was hit). My car did a 360 about three times, while bouncing off the wall on the parkway going 55 MPH. (that was the speed limit, I wasn't speeding). I walked away. They said I would have went through the windsheild and flew over the highway if I wasn't wearing one..
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:35 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I meant to say that if he was wearing one, he would have lived. Not wouldn't have lived. He was ejected out the back passenger window.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:36 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My husband is gone in Iraq and just today I almost had a heartattack because I got a call and it was a number from the post. I always wonder what I would say to my little 6month old who has only seen her father once, for two weeks after she was born.

I would hang up pictures of him. And tell her everyday "that was your daddy. he was a hero and he loved you very much." I would never take them down, it would be something that a SO would have to be ok with, if I ever moved on.

Just try to remind that little girl when you are with her and her mother comes up that her mom was a spectacular person and that she loved her very much. And if you are the christian type and so are they. Tell her her mother is her own personal angel and that she might not be standing there with her, but she is there. Every event, every booboo. Prom, Wedding etc
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:38 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My DH used to not buckle up and lately our 4 year old yells at him and tells him to stop the car in the driveway and buckle up! I always buckle because I used to be an EMT and have seen too many bad things happen when people weren't wearing seat belts and people survive who really shouldn't have because they were wearing their seat belts.

As for the family, just be there for support in any way they need. Some people want to be alone to greive and others want lots of people around. Just try to read their cues and hold that poor little babe as much as possible.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:23 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I am so sorry for that poor family and that very young child - it breaks my heart.
    I lost my mom and 4 y/o brother on September 15, 1978, when the brakes failed on the vehicle they were riding in and back then no one ever wore seatbelts. They both died instantly. The driver, her 1 year old baby, and my 2 year old brother all survived, but it tore our family apart.
    Since then, I have been conscious of wearing my seatbelt and everyone knows that when they get into a vehicle with me the vehicle goes nowhere until every single person is seatbelted. And I am very strict about following child car seat safety laws.
    Just remembering seeing my mom and little brother in their open caskets is enough for me to pass on the word for everyone to wear their seatbelts.
    Thank you for posting this. Again, I am so very sorry.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:43 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. There are just never any words that can help heal that tear in your heart. Please honor your friend and her children (and also honoring yourself in the process) by always wearing your seat belt. You are absolutely right, you will never know if a seat belt would have saved their lives in a head on collision. But it might have given them a chance. Out of all the deaths in my local area involving vehicles, the vast majority of individuals killed were not wearing thier seat belts. Not speeding, having your car maintained (checking tires, keeping it up), and wearing seat belts will reduce your chances of being in a life ending car accident. I am so sorry you are hurting. When someone so young dies it never seems to make sense.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:20 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My hubbys younger brothers and his friends hate riding with us because my car does not even start until everyone has a seat belt on. They always say "We're old enough, we dont gotta listen to you, we'll be fine" and I always tell them "I dont really care whether you live or die, but my kids are in this car and if I wreck you will be a missle and I dont want you flying into them"

Ugh. Its not that hard.... Its not like its complete torture to sit in a car with one either.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:23 AM on May. 27, 2009