What's open discussion?

I am a second wife and stepmom. Would like to know what is open discussion and what is tabu to have conversations about regarding my stepsons upbringing? We are raising him 4 days out of the week and at the very least I would like my husband to feel free to have discussions about his upbringing with me. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well there's no right answer here. It's all about what works for your family. I would want to be just as involved in my step child's upbringing as in that of my own children, but it also depends on the child's relationship with his own biological parents and their relationship with one another.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 27, 2009

• To me an open discussion is one in which a person can ask any question and it be answered honestly and age appropriately (if it is with a child). There should be no yelling or screaming, no accusing, no bad mouthing. It is a mature and respectful conversation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:06 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Talk to your husband about it. It's good to keep an open dialogue going when you are part of a stepfamily. Make sure everyones thoughts, wishes and opinions are in the open. Talk about them but don't feel you have to go along with a childs wishes if it isn't right for the family

itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:07 PM on May. 27, 2009