• In the Spotlight:

Would You Be Scared?

Okay, this JUST happened..so I go into my DD's room to change her diaper and put her in her night clothes and it sounds like there was a gun shot RIGHT outside her window. I run to the front door and hear yelling outside. I go out and see about 15 police officers with flashlights and guns in the yard directly across the street! They are telling someone to get out of this old pick-up parked in my neighbors yard, get on the ground, etc. This is the second time this has happened on our street! We've only lived in this house(a rental btw) for 5 months now! Should I be worried about our safety? My DH works nights and it's just me and my 7 week old DD here =( Would you consider moving? I mean it's not a bad neighborhood, but it could be better. I am terrified and don't go to sleep til my DH gets home. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Even in the 'best' neighborhoods this happens. When my sister and I went down to our cousins house (we lived in duplex's, ours was number 4 theirs was number 6) before school, the police squad surrounded the area to arrest the guy that lived in number 5. They had rifles, pistols, and semi automatics, because they had no clue what he had in the house. It was pretty scary. The newspaper even titled the article "Waco in St. George".
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 1:16 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I'd get the police stats for the zip code. The state usually has these on the web. It'll break down rapes, murders, burglaries, car prowls etc and then you can really judge. Sounds like they must have followed him in a car chase w/ several cops. Did you hear all the cars. Tonight the worry is gone, lock your doors and get some sleep.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:56 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Yes I would consider moving. Fortunately for me, knock on wood, I have never had to hear the sound of a gunshot, unless it was in a movie or in our 4th of July parade. But to have heard a gunshot twice right outside your house? Yes that would make me want to move, even once would probably do it for me. Guns are nothing to be messed with and even though they aren't meant for you...unfortunately shots hit people they weren't intended for. I don't mean to scare you but that is just my opinion. I don't mess with guns or stay in situations where there are/have been guns involved.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:03 AM on May. 27, 2009

• OP here:well we have guns in our house..i actually sleep with a loaded shotgun in the corner of my bed(we are hunters, that's why we have guns)! We are stationed here and this is the most reasonable place we could find-money wise. But I am scared to death! I honestly don't know what to do. I know my DH will say there's nothing to worry about but I'm thinking of the safety of my DD and myself. I would just like to know what you would do in my situation!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I hear gunshots and battering rams knocking down the door of the lady across the street. Police parked on a daily basis to catch the drug dealers. I stay because I am old school in the sense that all of the neighbors that have lived here 30+ years know what's up and the drug dealers know that we know what's up and they make sure we are not bothered. Mind you I do not condone their behavior and I am the one who has reported them to the cops and have caused them to get busted 3 times. But I cannot move and the majority of the neighbors have been here forever. Eventually they all go to jail for a few years and it is quiet. I still wave hi to the OBLIVIOUS mom and life goes on as usual.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:16 AM on May. 27, 2009

• If you are that scared to be in the house alone at night then it's time to move.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:01 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I know what you mean I too have a DF that works nights, and we just moved into a new house, that is also a rental, and twice in the last month the police have raided and been over doing whatever at my neighbors house, but really all the rest of our neighbors are great very nice and friendly people, one even works for the sheriff here in the county, so I feel okay, but with your situation and the gun shots yeah I would be concerned, but thankfully at least the police were already there dealing with the problem.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:06 AM on May. 27, 2009