How do i get my 4 month to drink from a bottle?

My daughter won't drink from a bottle, i have been pumping to express excess milk, although that has worked against me, . i haven't been able to go any where for more than 2 hrs at a time. we have tried all kinds of nipples and bottles, nothing works...
she cries and cries and wont swallow the breast milk from the bottle, and i cant bare for her to cry for more than a couple of minutes....
advice please?

SafaAndMomma

Asked by SafaAndMomma at 1:36 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you trying to give her the bottle? Have someone else feed her from a bottle without you in the room. She is going to have to be pretty hungry, but she will eventually do it. If it is too hard for you to hear her cry, go far enough to be out of earshot. She will always choose your breast over a bottle, and odds are pretty good she is not going to be willing to take a bottle from you ever. My DS nursed for 14 months. It DOES get easier once they start eating solid foods.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:41 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Also make sure that the milk that is expressed has not gone bad. With my daughter my husband had attempted to give her a couple bottles and had not tested the milk first in result my baby girl did not want a bottle. I know a lot of people go EEWWW gross Breast milk...look at it this way if you drink cows milk you are drinking milk from a cows boob! testing the milk before giving it to the baby will not kill you LOL. Try different nipples and also they have bottles that are made to be like the breast Here is one link http://www.adiri.com/  for those types of bottles. Not much but I hope this helps.

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 2:01 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I have also heard that you should have someone else try, can you try a friend since family is always there, just a thought
    jade_nicole234

Answer by jade_nicole234 at 2:28 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Someone besides you needs to give her the bottle, and you need to be out of sight

Answer by rkoloms at 5:42 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Have someone else give the bottle and leave the room or even the house if need be. My son wouldn't take a bottle though and the doc suggested spoon feeding him my expressed milk. It was a lot more work so I didn't leave often. At 4 months old we tried a sippy cup with help from dad and he took that willingly.

Pumping to reduce supply is not a good idea because it is telling your body that you need that milk. Your boobs work on supply and demand so when you pump you are telling it there is more demand then there really is.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:11 AM on May. 27, 2009