What do you think causes ADHD?ADD?

After reading the autism post I thought of ADD/ADHD. These two have also gone thru the roof in the past 10 years. Do you think it could be the foods or is it just genes past on?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 1:38 AM on May. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I will admit I don't know a lot about ADD/ADHD but I will tell you that since we have eaten only organic and natural foods we have seen a lot of behavioral changes in my son who has autism. The dyes, chemicals, hormones and disease that is in much of the food at the grocery store is astounding and disgusting.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:39 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I do think nutrition plays a role in many things, these two included.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:42 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I think we've gotten better at diagnosing. There were probably tons of kids that wern't diagnosed with either condition but now because of better testing and more awareness of learning disabilities kids are getting diagnosed quicker.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:52 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I think a lot of kids who are diagnosed with ADHD are possibly misdiagnosed. I know from experience that some kids just play too much video games and have tons of built up energy. They just need to get outside and play red rover or something. Not all kids. Some of them do have a disorder. My brother was diagnosed with ADHD, I think it's because 7 yr old kids shouldn't be drinking mtn. dew and coke(in his case atleast)
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:53 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't think food or additives or any of that CAUSES autism or ADD or ADHD, but a lot of people have had success in managing childrens' behavior by monitoring their diets. I believe that, for sure. I think the reason there is such a rise in the numbers of children being diagnosed is that there is so much more information out there now. Awareness goes up, intervention goes up, and diagnoses go up. I don't think there are more children that have them, I just think that more children are being diagnosed. Which is good because they get the help they need, but it does seem to scare people too. Just my humble opinion.

crazywith4

Answer by crazywith4 at 1:55 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Actually many children with ADD/ADHD are very bright. Many are way above grade level.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on May. 27, 2009

• By the way, again, with my brother. His parents don't pay attention to him and he plays video games that are rated for 17 yrs and up, which I think contributes.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:58 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I must have missed the implication that children with ADD/ADHD were not bright. However, I think it is a combination of more awareness resulting in more accurate diagnosis coupled with misdiagnosis. I know, that sounds confusing but let me explain. There are a lot of children that I think suffered from ADD/ADHD before it was common to diagnose them. I also think that there are a lot of children that just need more structure and some routine, but not medication or counseling. Make sense? Like my stepson is on medication for ADD. He is really good at home, where we have a set routine every day. But his mother ends up in tears after his visits because he wreaks havoc there. He never knows which way is up and what is happening, so he gets frustrated and acts out. She wants to up his meds because she thinks he isn't being helped yet.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:02 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My son was diagnosed with ADHD this past Jan. He was put on vyvnase for it, a once daily medication. The results were outstanding. We were lucky and the first med they put him on worked for him. We were very lucky there.
    His schoowork immediately improved, he is well above his age level in school.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:03 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Mom1 you hit the nail on the head! Kids need structure, kids with ADD/ADHD even more so!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:06 AM on May. 27, 2009